Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR SALES: geek/Marketplace > Website For Sale - Purchase - Barter - Trade
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
Breesy

Default Selling iLyric.net ( 0.8 mill hits/month )

Hey Guys,

I'm interested in selling a site to raise money for another venture, for any serious bids / questions you can reach me at webmaster@breesy.com...

Your name: Daniel Breese
Your Email address: webmaster@breesy.com
URL of the site: http://www.ilyric.net
Age of site: Nearly two years (since: 4th March 2003)
Traffic statistics: Pageviews: ~800000, Uniques: ~400000 [stats]
Source of traffic: Google, Yahoo, AskJeeves etc... + Bookmarked/Loyalty traffic.
Asking price: Mid-highish $XX XXX
Gross and net revenue per month: Gross: ~$3360, Net: ~$3270
The specific source of your revenue: SearchBarCash (LoudCash): $2700/month, Amazon: $100, FastClick: $560
Copyright status of the content on the site: Not licensed from owners...
Any other pertinent data: ...

Wouldn't sell the site if I didn't need the money as it really is a cash cow, so serious bids only please...

Included
- ilyric.net domain and custom coded scripts
- Winamp plugin + source
- Lyric database
- Newsletter list (currently 4763 subscribers)

Revenue
- SearchBarCash (LoudCash): $2700/month, Amazon: $100, FastClick: $560
- Proof of income: here and here (unfortunately I do not have a screenshot for SearchBarCash as they took down the site when they transitioned to LoudCash and Im not currently using them)
- Currently using YourSiteBar over LoudCash, it seems to make a little less but allows you to customise the toolbar (your free to change back and optimise your income should you please.. fastclick, adsense, realmedia approved..)

Stats:
- Hits: ~800000, Uniques: ~400000 [stats here]

Database
- The database has 126,041 lyrics.

SEO
- Search Engine Optimised, receives most of its traffic from google.
- MarketLeap link popularity: 598,704 inbound links (Across 6 search engines)
- 227,000 pages listed in google

Other
- Hosted on a $89 win2003 dedicated server from server matrix + SQL db, the site will need to be moved onto your server, I'll move and set up the site for you.
- I am happy to use escrow...

Please email all offers / questions / comments etc to Daniel Breese at webmaster@breesy.com.

Thank You,
Daniel Breese
Breesy.com Entertainment

Last edited by Breesy; 02-10-2005 at 07:03 AM.
Breesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
Eriky
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

For anyone interested in buying this site:
do you link to this site from your own sites and what amount of traffic does that amount to?

If I remember correctly, you have several lyric websites linking to eachother.
Eriky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
AleR

infected by "Exploit.HTML.CodebaseExec"

AleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #4
Eriky

That's the 'searchbar' ad, which is basically just another adware. (browser highlighting, popups, etc.)
Eriky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Breesy

Hi,

Yes I link to the site from breesy.com and rare-lyrics.com this equates to no more than 200 hits in per day..
Old 02-13-2005, 07:28 AM   #6
Michau

You have a WinAmp plugin developed as I see, do you get much traffic from it?
Michau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 02:58 PM   #7
SWD

you aware is against fastclick TOS to have Active X in the same page as Fastclick ads?
SWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:40 AM   #8
Breesy

Michau: Not really, a much higher majority of the traffic is from repeat traffic.

SWD: No I was not aware of that, however if its a problem I/You can easily use a different banner provider on those pages.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:10 PM   #9
SWD

i sent you an email..

let me know
SWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:22 AM   #10
Breesy

Reply sent...

We have had a few bids at or around $20,000... We can understand that higher amounts are a problem simply because of the lack of available funds for some small purchasers, however we are considering all bids at or around $40,000 (12 months income).
Old 02-17-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
Michau

I was afraid of how the ActiveX installer affects your repeat traffic. I would definitely never come again to a page which shots an ActiveX installer on me. Do you have any comments on that?

Also, as you said you are hosting on a Windows server, are there any ASP scripts or other stuff which cannot be run on Linux server?
Michau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 07:10 PM   #12
JFS

Michau:

if it is asp it won't run on apache only on iis unless you have the aspchillisoft (i think this is the name for it) installed on your apache.
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:40 PM   #13
Breesy

JFS is correct, asp can be run on apache using aspchillisoft, however I am not an expect with it and wont be able to install it for you. I can however recommend a hosting provided and set up the site on that server for you if you like.

ActiveX installers do, no doubt, effect sites who depend on loyalty traffic... However with ilyric, the majority of the traffic falls into two categories... The first is search engine traffic, activex installers do not effect this traffic in any real way because the user has allready clicked onto the site, and will next time they are looking for lyrics, search again, and click the site that looks the best in the results, a sort of blind site-independant clicking... The second is repeat traffic from ilyric, because the activex ads have been in place for many months, and we still have repeat traffic coming in it means that, a) These visitors dont mind the installer, b) These visitors don't see the installer... Either way it doesn't drive them away.

If you dont get me please ask and i'll try to clarrify... Basically the activex installer makes little to no difference on a site like this.

-----------------------

Because we have had a few bids close to $40,000 but not quite at it, we are offering a finders fee of US$1,000 to whoever finds the buyer for ilyric...

If you have a potential bidder get them to email me at webmaster@breesy.com... (You can collect on the finders fee yourself if you plan to purchase ilyric)
Old 02-18-2005, 10:07 AM   #14
Macrobeat

Yikes! I made the mistake of going there with IE. Got a toolbar added to my browser, a BHO, probably various other nasties. It took me half an hour to make sure my PC was clean again.

I'm always looking for high traffic sites, Breesy (as my post history may show). What would you value this site at if I stripped the er, unsavory stuff?
Macrobeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #15
Steve_S

Question

I hope the following helps everyone understand your deal:

"...Age of site: Nearly two years (since: 4th March 2003)"
"...because the activex ads have been in place for many months"

---> What was your gross and pre-tax net income for callendar year 2003 and which affiliate programs generated this income and how much $ did each affiliate program generate? Please list each affiliate program by name.

---> What was your gross and pre-tax net income for callendar year 2004 and which affiliate programs generated this income and how much $ did each affiliate program generate? Please list each affiliate program by name.

---> What is your gross and pre-tax net income for callendar year 2005 (Year to date) and which affiliate programs generated this income and how much $ did each affiliate program generate? Please list each affiliate program by name.

"....fastclick, adsense, realmedia approved..)"

Their may be some confusion over this statement. Normally, all afffiliate programs require the new owner of a site to reapply and submit to an approval procedure. The rules for this Forum document the Fastclick procedure:

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt - Fastclick
Hello,

I wanted to jump in here and mention a few things. First, we do allow transfers for sites that have been sold. You may not switch your payment profile to the new owner, the new owner must create a new Fastclick account or add the site to their existing account. Please keep in mind that the site is still subject to our publisher agreement. Fastclick.com reserves the right to refuse service to any new or existing Publisher, in its sole discretion, with or without cause.

If you have sold a site and the new owner would like to continue to use Fastclick you must send an email to publish@fastclick.com and CC the new owner stating that you would like to have the site removed from your account.

Regards,
Matt Oettinger
Media Account Manager
Fastclick.com, Inc.
The AdSence rules:

Quote:
Account Transferability

AdSense accounts are not transferable, assignable or resalable in connection with the sale of your site or otherwise. For example, when a site changes ownership or management, the prior owner or manager must cancel the AdSense account for the site, and the new owner or manager may sign up for a new AdSense account in his or her own name.

Last edited by Steve_S; 02-18-2005 at 12:30 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote