Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
Larwee

GeekGuide

Default Internet Explorer Losing Popularity

Firefox is becoming more popular and Microsoft's Internet Explorer is losing popularity. The details in the article below.
-----------------------------------------------------

Mozilla's browsers global usage share is 7.35 percent according to OneStat.com

Amsterdam - November 22 2004 - OneStat.com ( www.onestat.com ), the number one provider of real-time web analytics, today reported that Mozilla's browsers have a total global usage share of 7.35 percent. The new Mozilla's Firefox has a total usage share of 4.58. The total usage share of Mozilla was 2.1 percent at the end of May. Microsoft's Internet Explorer still dominates the global browser market with a global usage share of 88,90 percent which is 5 percent less as at the end of May.

"It seems that people are switching from Microsoft's Internet Explorer to Mozilla's new Firefox browser. The total usage share of Microsoft declined 5 percent and the total usage share of Mozilla increased 5 percent," said Niels Brinkman, co-founder of OneStat.com.

Microsoft's IE 6 is currently the leading browser on the web. Microsoft's IE 6 global usage has increased with 11.65 percent from 69.3 percent to 80.95 percent since May 2004.

Opera's global usage share is 1.33 percent and Safari has a global usage of 0.91 percent.

The most popular browsers on the web are:

1. Microsoft IE 6.0 80.95%
2. Microsoft IE 5.0 4.18%
3. Microsoft IE 5.5 3.66%
4. Mozilla Firefox 0.1 2.79%
5. Mozilla 1.x 2.77%
6. Mozilla Firefox 1.0 1.79%
7. Opera 7.x 1.29%

OneStat.com is the number one provider of real-time web site analytics in the world. Our superior technology powers more than 50,000 websites in 100 countries. With our accurate, detailed & reliable reports we will be able to answer questions about visitor behaviour, site performance and retention.

The OneStat.com solutions provide executives, marketers and webmasters with answers to critical e-business questions such as:

Who is visiting my website?

How many pageviews, visits (sessions) and visitors are coming on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly basis?

What content, products, and services do my visitors prefer?

How many visitors return to the website and how often?

What kind of search engine do they use?

What kind of technology do your visitors use to view the website?

What is the return on investment of my advertising campaigns?

How do I identify significant trends?

How much time do they spent on the website?

Methodology: A global usage share of xx percent for browser Y means that xx percent of the visitors of Internet users arrived at sites that are using one of OneStat.com's services by using browser Y. All numbers mentioned in the research are averages of last week and all measurements are normalised to the GMT timezone. Research is based on a sample of 2 million visitors divided into 20,000 visitors of 100 countries each day.

http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox34.html

Note for editors: for more information, please contact OneStat.com, Belgieplein 84, 1066 SC Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Phone: +31 (0)20 77 92 544 E-mail: press@onestat.com Website : www.onestat.com

Last edited by Larwee; 11-27-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 09:14 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

While Opera has its hardcore fans, FireFox is the first viable competitor to IE to emerge in years. Personally, I've found no need or incentive to move away from IE since version 4.0, but even I was convinced to download FireFox for use as the primary browser on one of my production machines.

While IE won't give up too much of its market share thanks to MSFT's continued dominance of the desktop, FireFox is bound to continue its growth into late single-figure or early double-figure market share by the end of 2005 if it remains as well supported and as svelte as it is presently.

<speculation> ...And, if the newly cash-rich Google sees incentive in entering the browser market to supplement its desktop search and toolbar features, a product based on FireFox might be just the opening the search giant is looking for. </speculation>

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
AhmedF

Even as a better alternative, and even with google pushing it, I do not see FireFox stealing away from IE.

There is simply too much apathy from the average user - words like spyware still confuse too many people, and the actual act of downloading FireFox proves to be too much of struggle. To many people, Internet Exporer is the internet.

I see a peak of 25% myself, but that is even if google helps it out.
AhmedF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:43 PM   #4
thegauntlet

If any one browser can gain 25% marketshare from Micro$oft, that will be a victory. Like Czar, Firefox was the first browser in years I use in addition to MSIE. I am unhappy with the page load times in Firefox though. Seems graphics heavy sites along with frames heavy sites are slower.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #5
AhmedF

Hrmm personally I have found firefox slow to load, but after that it renders pages ultra-snappy.
AhmedF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
cheznoir
Member.

We heavily promote firefox on 2 of our sites, total of about 30,000 people a day. IE is down to right around 50% only.

We regularly post articles on firefox and then have big forum discussion on how to do this or that, what extensions to check out etc.

Once people are comfortable with it, the extensions and the ease to impliment them is what hooks people. We have had people in our forums create specific extensions just for our site (if you don't use them you lose nothing, but having them make searches etc easier).

Why? The biggest spyware/scumware. It is the best protection. 2. It really is a better browser. 3. I think it builds the community feel when the site as a whole tries something out together, the forums become a place where people help each other, suggest things to try out etc.

And if you say you get next to no one using it. Check your sites, how do they render in firefox? Are there javascript errors? Weird layout? If your site doesn't work right or look right in firefox, don't expect to see your firefox numbers grow.

Chet

Last edited by cheznoir; 11-28-2004 at 01:18 PM.
cheznoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
Larwee

GeekGuide

I have used Internet Explorer only when I just had to. I use it to check how a new page of my site will display and I use it sometimes when a page just won't function properly unless I use Internet Explorer. But, sometimes I just don't bother.

I began using the Mosaic browser when it first became available back in 1993 or 1994. Naturally there was no Internet Explorer then. Mosaic became Netscape and I continue using it. Still there was no Internet Explorer.

When Internet Explorer became available, I was familiar with Netscape and liked it more, so I continue to use it as much as possible and Internet Explorer only when I just had to.

Yes, things did become a bit painful with Netscape 4.7.

As time passed I was glad I was mainly using the Netscape browser and well as using Netscape for my e-mail rather than the Microsoft e-mail product. This is because of all of the attacks that were being made due to the flaws in those Microsoft products and the fact that so many people used them. There were so few people using Netscape that it wasn't worth the effort.

AhmedF and cheznoir mentioned the spyware problem in connection with browsers. I started a spyware related thread a couple of days ago. It is here: http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=26033

I am REALLY CURIOUS to know what some of you think about the important issues it raised.

I have been using Firefox for a good while. There are things I like about it and some things I don't like. I really love the extensions feature.

After all these years, I still continue to use Internet Explorer only when I just must. I am mainly using Netscape 7.2 and the latest version of Firefox and I continue to use Netscape for my mail.

Netscape is working on a new release that will be based on Firefox. I'm sure I'll install and use it when it becomes available.

I believe Firefox will deal much better with any exploit attacts than Microsoft has or will.

But from a personal and very selfish standpoint I wish Firefox wasn't as popular as it is and I wish Internet Explorer would continue to have the huge edge in use.

This is so the attacks would continue to be directed mainly towards exploiting Internet Explorer. Firefox, Netscape and others would mostly be ignored because so few people were using them, so they would continue to target the big fish.

I guess I shouldn't have that selfish thought.

Actually with competition from a good product, users can be winners as each does everything possible to have the best product.

Last edited by Larwee; 11-29-2004 at 04:20 AM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote