Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2002, 09:45 PM   #1
Aristotle

Default Article: "Visitors despise pop-ups" ... hmm

We currently run pops on our network, so I was a bit surprised by this recent article regarding iVillage and their decision to stop all pops:

http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/article.php/1434851

Just an FYI. Wonder if it's the start of any kind of trend. Also could this just be a women thing?

My personal thoughts on that, are that for pops to start to vanish, the CPM rates for regular ads will need some drastic improvement otherwise most of us wouldn't be able to pay our hosting bills.

Last edited by Aristotle; 07-30-2002 at 09:47 PM.
Aristotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:02 AM   #2
MG

of course everyone hates popups..but does everyone put up with them?

yes.
MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 01:24 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Interestingly, though, research firm NFO recently surveyed a sample of British adults aged 15 and over, and found that the group preferred internet ads to both TV and radio variants.

In fact, the difference was significant - with more than half finding TV ads irritating, 23% thinking the same about radio ads, and only 18% finding that net ads (in general - not limited to pops or banners) get on their nerves.

It goes without saying that consumers would prefer an ad-free viewing experience, but in order to keep online properties alive - while still keeping the irritation factor to a minimum - it's fair to say that reaching a common ground is a better alternative than swinging from one extreme to another.

Will be interesting to see how this affects iVillage's bottom line, and where they will look to replace this revenue stream. The article tends to suggest that interstitials will replace the format, but outside of Unicast's own studies, it's hard to definitively conclude that layer ads are seen as any less intrusive or irritating than pops delivered in seperate windows.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:04 AM   #4
Jan

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by MG

yes.
Yes, if it is only one, but if there are more than one - control-alt-del

There seem to be more and more sites using companies like Adpowerzone that spawn dozens of popup/unders. That is annoying and I can understand people putting their foot down to stamp them out.

I don't use popup stoppers as such, my popup stopper in cases of multiples only is control-alt-del, or in the rare cases where that doesn't work, restart!

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:08 AM   #5
MattC
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

They're still going to do pop unders.

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/07/2...6.shtml?tid=95

http://www.msnbc.com/news/787096.asp

-Matt
Old 07-31-2002, 05:37 AM   #6
slikz

I used to use Adpowerzone, but after i visited my site one day and seen it spawning so many windows i tossed that out But generally popups are annoying but what can you do, i just like to use my trusty alt f4 it works wonders
slikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 09:22 AM   #7
jnestor

Jan - you reboot your computer every time you come across a site that uses multiple pops? That seems rather counter productive.

Personally I can handle single pops though I don't like them and that's what I use on my own site with very very few complaints.

Normally I use the rule that if a site uses multiple pops I just leave. Lately two sites that I find almost indispensable (Washington Post and IMDb) are using multiple pops and I'm getting ready to install a pop-blocker. Perhaps set just to block pops on those two sites.
jnestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:48 AM   #8
mmj

Quote:
Originally posted by MG

yes.
hehe - no. You won't be getting mmj coming back to a site if it has popup ads. Popup subscription boxes are different though.

mmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:44 PM   #9
dbcooper

>I'm getting ready to install a pop-blocker

And you aren't the only one. Look at all of the "Popular Download" pages like the one on zdnet. There's one there that currently shows almost 1.2 Million downloads. Ad killers have gone mainstream.
dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 12:50 PM   #10
Robert from SI

>>>>>>
hehe - no. You won't be getting mmj coming back to a site if it has popup ads.
>>>>>>>

mmj - I respectfully point out that, since you have 5 posts on the GV forums, you apparently do return to sites that use pop-ups.
Old 07-31-2002, 01:21 PM   #11
Steve_S

Thanks for the post. Interesting read. What I find rather surprising and dare I say a huge schock for such a very high quality site is the way they have chosen to run/monetize their 3000 Forums.

Take a gander: http://www.ivillage.com/boards/

They have a huge unrealized revenue potential in these forums.

Rather than eliminating the pops which appears to be a rather small percent of their revenue, I would have never implemented them untill I first switched to vB or another "modern" Forum script and created banner/text advert regions in the Forums and also monetized the email the Board sends. Evaluate the new revenue from this switch and it may eliminate the need to ever run pops.

Just my 2 cents

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:14 PM   #12
Mehere
Member.

As a surfer I never had problems with pop ups
In fact if they are on topic I would most likely respond.
I think surfers are realizing they keep the net free
Mehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:15 PM   #13
Robert from SI

Take a look at this link before deciding to follow the e-commerce guru's at iVillage.

(hint: the fun part is at the very bottom of the page)
Old 07-31-2002, 03:01 PM   #14
sal2002

look at what cnet has on their site

http://www.cnet.com/software/0-32278...html?tag=ld_12

ahh the future of pop ups. I think pop ups are the best way to make money online.

should we install antiadbuster on our site?
sal2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 03:22 PM   #15
qball0213

That's funny, how long did it take cnet to put info like that into kazaa, and now they are promoting it.
qball0213 is offline   Reply With Quote