Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2002, 10:04 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Question Future Games Network Status

Does anyone here have any recent experience dealing with the presumably-still-alive ad representation program offered by Future Games Network?:
http://www.fgn.com/fgn.info?Publishers

Cybereps seems to be enduring the ad slowdown better than most, so I'm wondering whether or not FGN has been able to attract enough attention to serve premium gaming sites better than UGO, Gorilla Nation, etc...

Any info would be much appreciated.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 10:53 AM   #2
SSacobie

Good old FGN. It's too bad Listbot shutdown. There were some very interesting conversations on it back when Pesach was still in control (i.e. 9 cents CPM in January, 2000). In the past, Cybereps did little actual ad selling for FGN but just resold through lesser networks (as discussed here... just ignore anything semi-positive I said about L90 ), which I always found kind of odd since Cybereps was supposed to be a top tier rep, and/or posted lots of house ads. I haven't heard anything about them recently, though.
SSacobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 11:18 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

Thanks muchly for the reminder. That thread has brought back a few memories...

My suspicions were that the program would be dead by now, given that it wasn't well managed way back when, which is why I was so surprised to find that the pitch site remained live during my recent bookmark spring-clean.

It seems that gaming sites are doomed to running the ad sales side of the biz independently until a new player emerges to serve this out-of-favor market.

If anyone here has had a more positive or recent experience with the group, please speak now or forever keep your peace.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:57 PM   #4
Furton

I remember around 5months ago a friend of mine was running their banners and server around 10k a day, he usually got around $80 a month, which isn't too bad.
Furton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
Jeff Booth

Don't go with FGN, I'm fairly sure they are dead by now.

Our contract with them expired, but in the last 5 months they had not served 1 paid add, as well as neglected to pay us for 2 previous months.

Not only that they have lost a majority of their publishers, as well as let go most of the FGN staff.

Best to stay away, youll get caught up in a long contract and get paid next to nothing.
Jeff Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 01:01 AM   #6
Darkness

I made quite a bit with fgn in the good days, over $1800 one month and that was for a site doing just 300,000 pv a month
Though I do remember that I always wanted to get into UGO who were paying a guaranteed $3cpm at the time.

Jeff is right I haven't seen a paid ad on there for months, I am surprised the homepage is still running to be honest..

Last edited by Darkness; 01-12-2002 at 01:05 AM.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 04:47 AM   #7
Gogi

Maybe everything is not so bad - I've seen a massive Philips PC speakers campaign that was run throgh FGN sites.
Gogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 05:52 PM   #8
Jeff Booth

Oh everything 'is' so bad. I bet the only reason they had those philips ads on FGN was as a 'bonus' for philips buying advertising on one of their other properties.. It sure as hell wouldnt surprise me if they used FGN to entise an advertiser with free impressions, it wouldnt be the first time they have run a campaign from a large company for FREE!

(Anyone from FGN remember when they ran millions of netscape impressions, and we got paid for 0?).

Either way FGN has little to no staff, little to no support, their portal page isn't even updated anymore (last updated was late October)...
Old 01-13-2002, 10:10 AM   #9
PaulT

FGN kinda went down with Daily Radar, ever since FGN's launch, Daily Radar propped it up. When Daily Radar went FGN tried to go it alone, but it seems to be pratically dead now!

Last edited by PaulT; 01-13-2002 at 01:25 PM.
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2002, 05:49 PM   #10
Jeff Booth

Daily Radar was with UGO, not FGN, if I am mistaken.

The biggest site FGN ever had was 3dfiles.com, which has since ceased to exist after being bought by zdnet or cnet (i forget which).
Old 01-14-2002, 01:47 PM   #11
PaulT

Actually it seems we are both mistaken

I am getting mixed up with Future Publishing's Games Network (publishes mags such as PC-Gamer in the UK etc). They had (have, even) a gaming network, but it's kinda dead now that Daily Radar is gone.

Ignore my original post then
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2002, 05:23 PM   #12
Jeff Booth

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulT
Actually it seems we are both mistaken

I am getting mixed up with Future Publishing's Games Network (publishes mags such as PC-Gamer in the UK etc). They had (have, even) a gaming network, but it's kinda dead now that Daily Radar is gone.

Ignore my original post then
Daily Radar, the US company at least, was running UGO ad's however =) I assumed that was what you were talking about.