Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2001, 11:36 AM   #1
Gracklor

Post BannerSpace.com Pays.....

Just wanted to let you all know that I did get a BannerSpace.com check four days ago (I have no internet right now and had to sneak to a computer lab).

It was the bare minimum, though (just over $20). The only only odd thing is that even though the check was cut in October (ie, date on check said 9/30), I just now got it. Either it was lost in the mail or something else delayed it. I can only speculate.

Still, that's $20 I wasn't expecting to see. Merry Christmas to me!
Gracklor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 12:12 PM   #2
Lil_Red

You must be the first person paid by them in the last 8 months. We're still waiting on payment from last April.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 12:37 PM   #3
drbones

Default By the sounds of it

Sounds like a company to stay away from based on what lil-red said.
What kind of rates do they offer?

Ryan
drbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 05:44 PM   #4
firstmark

I also got paid after requesting payment.
firstmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 05:51 PM   #5
Lil_Red

I've requested payment a number of times and generally do not get the courtesy of a response
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 10:48 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Hey Lil,

I have unfortunately run into the same bottleneck as you. After enjoying quick responses from their support folks for about 6 months (and having received one payment), I received the same termination notice as you two weeks ago.

The notice inaccurately stated that only 34% of our audience were US based, according to their stats, and when I challenged this, BannerSpace asked that I send them evidence to the contrary for the timeframe in question. I did so, and stated that although I'm not interested in pursuing the relationship, I'd like to overify that those monies earned up until the termination date would be paid in full.

No response to that - the first time the BannerSpace team hasn't responded within 24 hours during the course of our relationship.

FWIW, I have received one payment during the past few months, but that arrived 2 months late.

Ryan, the attractiveness of the firm is bolstered by the fact that they did secure a few tasty CPM campaigns this year, which raised my effective CPM rate to anywhere between $0.30-$0.80 with the company. This alone makes the service worthy of consideration, but it would be worth your while to wait until their payment cycle returns to normal before joining the firm. I'm sure that existing members will notify the forum as to when (and if) that occurs.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 09:47 AM   #7
brandonc

I worked in accounting at BannerSpace.com during 2000 - 2001.

This was a bad time for all ad networks, as well as publishers. Our bad debt ratio for the second half 2000 through first half 2001 was a rediculous 70-80% as our dot com clients were dropping like flies. Publishers must realize that any network or agency cannot disburse funds until they are received from the advertiser, if they want to stay in business, and any publisher that joined our network agreed to these terms when they signed up. We paid very high legal expenses, out of pocket, to go after these non-paying customers, but most of them were disapearring, leaving nothing behind.

This is the reason for the very late payments (6 months in some cases) and for payments being prorated to smaller amounts due to only receiving payment from some of the advertisers.

Everybody, including us, wishes we were back in 1999, but things are different now. That said, things are looking up now as compared to 2001-2002, and our current publishers are quite happy with recent results. Rates are up, publisher who perform well are getting almost all CPM, and our bad debts have been cut to less than 10%, through very strict credit policies.

Anyone reading the above postings in this thread should note the following:

1. These are 2 years old. Recent publisher feedback has been positive.

2. We will not pay sites who attempt to cheat us and our advertisers, nor will we waste time responding to emails from these sites once they are caught and we have documented clear evidence of fraud or terms violations. We will respond promtly to emails from publishers with good standing. If a site is claiming we "used to" respond to inquiries and no longer do, they were most likely caught cheating. Note that most of these complaints are repeats from the same few individuals. If the allegations were true, there would be a much higher percentage of the thousands of active sites complaining.

Think about it for a minute. If we terminate a publisher, we no longer make anything either on that site's inventory. Publishers are our business. If our business was to terminate accounts and not pay them, we could not stay in business. We will do everthing we can to keep publisher account open long term, because that is how we make money. It does us no good when we terminate an account, because A.) there is no further revenue from that account, and B.) the money is credited back to the advertiser(s) who's campaigns were affected.

As for the US percentage problem, any time an account is suspended for this reason, the publisher is given many warnings ahead of time, and plenty of opportunity to solve the problem. In cases where the publisher feels that our geographic statistics do not match their own, our policy is to send a highly detailed report of traffic over a sample period, including IP addresses of all users and the country of origin. We then ask the publisher to forward their detailed logs so that we may compare line-by-line and figure out where the discrepancy lies.

Our policy on this is in place only because the majority of our clients are seeking US traffic. This is one reason we have a higher CPM/CPC ratio than other networks, and higher net CPM revenue. A lot has changed since these old posts, and we now offer publishers several options if this problem arises, including filtering the non-targeted traffic to a any type of default ad provided by the publsiher. With this option, we still take traffic from other counties as well, as long as they are being targeted by one of our advertisers.

In conclusion, I think CZar is correct that Bannerspace will be one of the few ad networks that survives the industry slump, and that has already proven to be true as many companies that existed when that post was made are gone now.

Brandon C.
brandonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 03:07 PM   #8
levik

I cannot testify as to how your network operated a few years back, but certainly my experience with you in 2003 has been that emails DO go unanswered, and payments ARE late.

I am assuming my account to be in good standing, since it is active, I was never notified otherwise and my login still works. (I once got a warning about levels of Non-US traffic, at which point I configured PhpAdsNew to only show your ads to US visitors and the problem went away)

The stat system shows that I was paid for Apr-Jun 2003, but I certainly never got that check, and the couple of emails that I sent to your support address were never answered.
levik is offline   Reply With Quote