Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2001, 01:12 PM   #1
JJJay

Default About.com - going under?

The following is taken from www.f--kedcompany.com

"Rumor has it About.com canned about 60 people this morning, from the Head Manager all the way down to the little sales guys... They also terminated over 300 of their guides who make About.com what it is. What have we learned from this? About.com is about to go buh bye."

It is truly unbelievable how fast some companies can crash. Only a couple of months ago I was making 5 figure sums monthly using the Luna network and about.com text links. Luckily I removed all links to about.com after receiving no replies from several emails, in the end I didn't even know who my sales rep was as they were leaving/getting sacked weekly. Wow it was great while it lasted.
JJJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 02:55 PM   #2
SSacobie

What we've seen lately with companies like Engage and eUniverse and several others is that the first thing to go in cases like this is affiliate programs or any type of ad arrangement. Affiliates were a money making opportunity back in the day. Now that they can't even sell enough ads to keep themselves going, most companies don't want to bother with affiliates any more. And when the market recovers, they know they can get thousands of affiliates again in a couple months, so they don't care how poorly they treat them now. Even if About doesn't go under, I haven't heard anything positive about Luna in months.

Another thing we've seen is that spending ludicrous amounts of money for a company that's not worth it (as Primedia did with About) doesn't work out too well either.

Last edited by SSacobie; 09-26-2001 at 02:58 PM.
SSacobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 05:31 PM   #3
Kaiosama

Default Surprised...

I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did... Clearly they were having a serious problem starting in the beginning of this year. Things just got worse after that...
Kaiosama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 06:51 PM   #4
mjames

If this happened, I would be really disappointed. I am subscribed to about three About.com newsletters and use their site on a weekly basis. There is such a wealth of information, it would totally a disgrace. But I can't say I didn't wonder about this... About has constantly been throwing new ads, and lots of them, to me. They rely too much on banners, need to try to find new ways to make revenue through syndication and more text advertising.
mjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 10:53 PM   #5
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by AztecSummer

a hunch: About.com will probably get rid of Luna, soon. Sooner than soon.
I share that hunch. About.com have a great deal of excess inventory throughout their own properties, making any extensions beyond that little more than a bandwidth and administrative liability.

Sprinks will likely survive, but About.com seems to be pushing this at larger properties ala the business model that has thrust FindWhat and GoTo.com to break-even. Luna no longer has a place in About.com's product line, unless the company still has need for the additional reach as tracked and reported by the likes of Jupiter Media Metrix in order to maintain its appearance as a leading web portal/destination.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 01:13 AM   #6
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Luna as a means of serving banner ads on partner web sites I already see as dead. At this time, the only ads Luna serves for my one site within their network are banners and towers with Sprinks links filled within. I personally don't think handing over as much as Luna partners are required to is worth the ability to serve up a few of their Sprinks links.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:33 PM   #7
jswap

I'll be sorry to see Luna go under, if they do. The money I make from my Sprinks links is all my site makes these days.

John
jswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:38 PM   #8
batcavenet

Default about.com

Hmm- what about community architect product? If they go under Im out about 9000 subscribers with nowhere to go I sure hope that part is still ok..
batcavenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:25 AM   #9
singloon

GeekGuide

yeah i have 4,000+ accounts on 2 communityarchitect.com powered domains... hope they don't go under.

as to Luna i just got their August report and it's 3x times better than July's figure but still way off from early this year (1/10th).

singloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:33 AM   #10
batcavenet

Default communityarchitect

Lately I have not gotten any replies from them with questions to partner support, and when they do reply it's just "we are working on it" thanks for hosting with us. I also sent a test email from another account that said- please reply as soon as you get this, to the regular member support- and it's been a month now and no reply, and getting my checks is like pulling teeth. At first it was good when I was getting it setup. I would sure like to know what's going on - so if I have to jump ship with them and go to another place that I can do that soon to avoid the nightmare if they shut down operations I would be curious to see if anyone else uses them and what their reaction has been.

JDT
batcavenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2001, 12:40 PM   #11

Default Interesting article

Ad Market Woes Push About.com into E-commerce Waters

http://www.internetnews.com/IAR/arti...892401,00.html
007 is offline   Reply With Quote