Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2002, 07:47 AM   #1

Exclamation Linkshare Warning/Jackpot.com Warning

It took me some time to figure what title to give this post
I had several titles in mind: 'How stupid do they think we are?' (we=affiliates), 'Stop insulting our intelligence', 'How credible is the Linkshare network', etc. but eventually I decided just to write 'Linkshare Warning/Jackpot.com Warning'. I did not write just 'Jackpot (Linkshare) warning' because this concerns both companies.
What I am going to say is my opinion into the situation, and I have some facts to back it:

I recently received a 'New Merchant Announcement' from Linkshare. There were four new merchants in the newsletter, two of them being Jackpot.com and Bigprizes.com (both run by The Vendare Group, Inc).

What troubles me is the following:

* Both companies (Jackpot.com and Bigprizes) had an affiliate program managed by Commission Junction. The program was put on hold by CJ for Jackpot and Bigprizes' lack of payment. Affiliates saw their leads reversed, and were never paid for their activities.

* Jackpot (and in some cases Bigprizes) run from time to time, their affiliate programs at affiliate networks such as OnResponse, AffiliateFuel, Websponsors, etc, but with a VERY TIGHT budget, meaning that their offers expire within a few days. (Their budgets are VERY TIGHT at these networks, and I believe that they do not exceed $10000 in most cases). After the budgets are met, the networks deactivate the offers; this way preventing affiliates not being paid.

* With Linkshare, this is not the case. They will approve as many affiliates as they want, and keep getting traffic and leads, but the problem is whether affiliates will be paid. Has anyone noticed the following:

Check Mailed By: Jackpot.com (The Vendare Group, Inc)

They are not using Linkshare to mail checks, so this way, new affiliate will not know whether the company has paid in the past by going to the 'Merchant Payment History' page.

* Do you remember the Cashpile 'Discussion with LinkShare CEO'? Many affiliates raised the 'non-payment' issue. As far as my memory goes, Stephen Messer (CEO) said that they would be checking the credit history of new merchants, in order to prevent same things happening again. Since then, there have been several NEW merchants that have not paid affiliates... Who was responsible for allowing Jackpot and Bigprizes become Linkshare merchants? Did this person check their credit history? Who will be responsible if affiliates are not paid? Just wondering...
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 05:07 PM   #2
PlanetLaunch

Very good observation 007. I have not had problems with Jackpot in the past, but I have had problems with numerous Linkshare merchants over payment issues. Some merchants have paid late (like 6 months late), while others just went out of business or moved to other networks and never returned phone calls or emails. Also, I don't have a lot of confidence in Linkshare's reporting. They always seem to have sales and lead tracking problems. This is definitely a program to use cautiously.
PlanetLaunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:29 PM   #3
Strider

I am not trying to defend Linkshare here but it is important to note some distinctions between Linkshare and the other networks. Linkshare and Befree have always claimed from the beginning to be technology providers and they do make a clear distinction on their site in regards to who is going to be responsible for payment. If the Jackpot.com affiliate program clearly states that payments will come from them, then shouldn't it be them that gets most of the ridicule and not the company they chose to provide the technology back end?

With that said, things have changed a bit, both networks have been under a lot of pressure to step up to the plate and make sure affiliates get paid. Both have tried to brand themselves as more than just a technology provider so they have only themselves to blame when affiliates expect and demand more.

If Linkshare is aware of the problems affiliates have had at other networks with this merchant than I whole heartedly agree with you.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 03:18 PM   #4

Post Special offers from Linkshare merchants

NAME: Jackpot.com
URL: http://www.jackpot.com
SPECIAL OFFER: Receive an extra cash bonus from Jackpot.com for generating the most new customer registrations from February 15th-April 15th. The #1 affiliate with the most registrations wins an extra $100, the #2 affiliate wins an extra $75, the #3 affiliate wins an extra $50, and the #4 and #5 affiliate win an extra $25. Hurry and join today to win an extra cash bonus.
TIME FRAME: February 15, 2002-April 15, 2002
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 03:37 PM   #5
havaloc

Default crackpot.com

I've got a good jackpot.com story. Back when they first launched, they had a promotion in which you could earn a free Palm Pilot if you referred 25 new users to their site. I was at 22 and had a week to go, and all of the sudden, their link tracking stopped working. I emailed them and complained, they said that they were changing their tracking software and the links would work until next week, which was after the promotion ended of course.

I don't trust them.

Quote:
Originally posted by PlanetLaunch
Very good observation 007. I have not had problems with Jackpot in the past, but I have had problems with numerous Linkshare merchants over payment issues. Some merchants have paid late (like 6 months late), while others just went out of business or moved to other networks and never returned phone calls or emails. Also, I don't have a lot of confidence in Linkshare's reporting. They always seem to have sales and lead tracking problems. This is definitely a program to use cautiously.
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:15 PM   #6
GuruChoc

I made 2 times as many referals for the Palm Pilot, I got a mail saying because of TAX laws in the USA they couldn't send to OZ, they did send me a cheque, after they had taken out 50% TAX. I signed up early on with them and was getting checks almost daily for my referals winning, but haven't got anything for the last year.

The amount of SPAM they generate these days is getting beyond a joke, time to pull the plug I think.
GuruChoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 05:31 PM   #7
havaloc

Default boo

The truth of the matter is that to make any money, or even break even, the number of prizes they award have to be so low as to not make it worthwhile to ANYONE.
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote