Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2002, 03:57 AM   #16
Supermoo

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert from SI
Please keep in mind that I support Google's right to run their website exactly as they see fit. My issue is that they seem to be lumping in popups a little to closely with scumware...
Google's page "No Pop-up Ads on Google" explains the most likley reasons, in a logical order about why people may experience pop-ups on Google. Three likley reasons seperated in a sensible order; check the domain, check that it isn't another website's pop-under; check that it isn't scumware.

I'm almost certain many first-time Internet users will experience 'squatter' domains and timed pop-unders more than they will scumware, so it seems quite logical to me to place these before the scumware warning.

I personally think they drew the line clearly and fairly.
Supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 07:49 PM   #17
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Default Crimeny....

Supermoo, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

Tonight at dinner my wife and I had this conversation: (As background, my wife is very well educated, goes online once or twice a week, uses AOL, shops a lot at Amazon, but on the whole is not terrible "net-centric" ...which probably describes a lot of the good demographic web surfers we try to attract)

My Princess: "Do you still have that PopUpTraffic stuff?"

Me: "Sure."

Princess: "On Channel 6 news this morning they ran a report about those popup windows and that it's illegal."

Me: "It's not illegal. TV news only broadcast sensational stories."

Princess: "They said that the popups are caused by illegal software and that you should report the websites to the FTC."

(Hilarity ensues from this point forward.)

Now...howdya think that our local news in Philadelphia decided to run a story about Popups and the FTC? Our friends at Google perhaps?

When you read that page as a normal surfer will (by normal surfer I mean a normally disinterested party...not webmasters in a "making money on the internet" forum) you can especially catch the 5 lines of bold text which are:

Google does not allow pop-up ads of any kind on our site
squatter
pop-unders
time bombs
To file a complaint

Who want to take bets on the over/under for when Google starts putting pop windows on their site?
Old 01-31-2002, 12:19 AM   #18
Supermoo

Default Re: Crimeny....

Quote:
Supermoo, we're going to have to agree to disagree.
I guess we might have to, but I'm just going to clarify my position aswell.

Quote:
Tonight at dinner my wife and I had this conversation:

My Princess: "Do you still have that PopUpTraffic stuff?"

Me: "Sure."

Princess: "On Channel 6 news this morning they ran a report about those popup windows and that it's illegal."

Me: "It's not illegal. TV news only broadcast sensational stories."

Princess: "They said that the popups are caused by illegal software and that you should report the websites to the FTC."

(Hilarity ensues from this point forward.)

Now...howdya think that our local news in Philadelphia decided to run a story about Popups and the FTC? Our friends at Google perhaps?
Media beat-ups can happen to anything and anyone, I don't think you should blame Google for this. They are simply stating their own position on this matter and are seperating themselves from the 'scumware' on the Internet. As their posting on the other forum claimed, people believed that Google were putting up pop-ups on their own website, surley Google have a right to clarify this.

Quote:
When you read that page as a normal surfer will (by normal surfer I mean a normally disinterested party...not webmasters in a "making money on the internet" forum) you can especially catch the 5 lines of bold text which are:
A truly disinterested surfer, would'nt click the link in the first place. A mildly intrested surfer would simply read the top-lines of the main text:
Quote:
Google does not allow pop-up ads of any kind on our site. We find them annoying. So why do they occasionally appear when you search on Google? Here are a few possible explanations:
A mildly intrested reader who then realises that they have been experiencing pop-ups at Google can then continue through the tests to establish where they came from. Logically you would test the domain first, checking that you're not at a squatter website.

Secondly, you'd check for any other websites that may have left a pop-under open.

Thirdly, you'd check for spyware.

I honstly don't think it's fair that you can blame the media's actions or the media's suggestions on Google. Google are simply clearing themselves of any wrong doing, just as I imagine you'd do if you were in their position. They aren't putting the pop-ups on their websites, other people (companies) are, why should Google stand for it?

I imagine if spyware started placing pop-ups on CellularPhones.com, reccomending people to visit another mobile phone carrier or possibly just random pop-ups, you'd probaly also be very annoyed and want to retaliate in some way, or at least to explain to your visitors that you're not putting the pop-ups on the website.

To me it seems that is all that Google is trying to do.

Quote:
Who want to take bets on the over/under for when Google starts putting pop windows on their site?
I don't think they will, for at least another year. Although I think their sponsored links might grow and possibly included small graphics for advertisers.
Supermoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2002, 01:08 AM   #19
ForeverJason

Ya I agree with supermoo. They may not need to put pop ups on their site for many reasons. One reason is I recently checked their sponsored links like where they are and through adwords they give you a estimate of monthly traffic and I saw they had sponsored links on many search terms that are getting tones of traffic. Also the fact that they are being paid a fee by major search engines per 1000 searches as stated in this article. http://www.clickz.com/search/opt/article.php/964231

Just a question, how much google advertising have you seen on the web?
ForeverJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 12:59 AM   #20
weagle

Default thats ok

I've usen google so much and never seen any advertisements and wondered where they would afford to pay their costs. the only thing implemented recently is the bidding for text ads for keywords on the right side but they never had graphical banner ads which to me is a surprise to see them jump to popups and skip banner ads. I wonder also how much yahoo pays them to use their search engine as a secondary one in their results?
weagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 07:16 AM   #21
Duchz

For their premium sponsorship advertisment at the top of some results ( the bar stretching from the top left to the top right ) I found the following thing on their page...

Quote:
Google's current campaign minimum is $10,000 over three months.
After looking at their ad-words program FAQ I picked the following snippet to show you that advertising on google.com is not that cheap.

Quote:
$15/ thousand ads shown for position 1
$12/ thousand for position 2
$10/ thousand for position 3
$8/ thousand for positions 4 through 8
So if they succeed to find 3 advertisers for one adword they earn a $37 CPM. I have seen popular search terms with 8 competitors advertising with adwords. The maths is up to you. Don't forget that this is highly targetted traffic because the user searches on his own and isn't persuaded to click some banner ads, etc. So my guess is that they won't put any graphical banners, popups, etc. on their page until there is some serious competition out there on the market and they are forced to increase their revenues using other methods or they go public and are being put under pressure by their shareholders to increase the earnings/stock as high as possible.

Agree or disagree, the lines above just reflect my own point of view. If you don't think my way, please remind me of the 'mistakes' I've done
Duchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 09:18 AM   #22
freakysid

This is getting a little off the topic, but $15 CPM is not that expensive for highly targeted traffic. I tried google's ad words, just because I was so curious to see what the CTR would be.

Basically, I bought "free url redirection" and got a CTR of 5% - so that's $0.30 per click. This figure stabalized very early on in the campaign and stayed there. Now for me, this is an uneconomic proposition. But for many e-commerce sites, highly targeted traffic at $0.30 per click is quite reasonable.
freakysid is offline   Reply With Quote