Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2001, 11:13 AM   #16
C. Stark

Default those are 4 wonderful ideas

These are 4 pretty competitive arenas. What they all have in common is really high profit margins on transactional based products. High margin business is always attractive.

1. *** Site. If you want to go with *** site it would be best to find a niche like a certain ethnicity of women or dwarfs or a different perversion than the standard. Some people are mixing *** with regular content. I thought sexquotes.com and nakednews.com had some really interesting business models.
Especially sexquotes because by mixing *** with stock market quotes their demographics are top notch.

2. Get Rich Quick Schemes. A personal favorite of mine. This space is one of the most competitive and it would be quite difficult to come up with something unique not already done. Basically the challenge here would simply be choose from one of the existing strategies and can you market it more effectively than the others.

3. Losing Weight. You got me there I never visit these sites, I am trying to gain weight.

4. Losing your hair. Hair tonic is over a one billion dollar a year industry. None of it works. And it is flourishing on the internet. People buy this stuff everyday every year like clockwork. I thought seriously about this one. What stopped me is an article I read that the government is cracking down on this. It is considered a form of fraud. thebaldtruth.com has a nice editorial site on this topic.
Old 12-08-2001, 02:15 PM   #17
JP Sauve
Member.

If you're creating a site out of passion for having a cool site, make it on whatever interests you and be happy not because it makes money but because it's your passion.

If you're creating a site to make money, find an idea/product/affiliate program that'll make you good money and build a small and simple site around it.

In my experience "low quality" sites will earn you more cash and produce less headaches. You don't need dynamic content, flash pages, bells, whisltes, etc, to make money. In most cases it actually HINDERS making money.

Build a three or four page website about credit cards, slather the site with content-looking ads for credit cards, and buy (or hunt for free) traffic looking for credit cards.

Follow the same idea for loans, game consoles, magazines, etc.

Nothing wrong with "low quality" sites at all!
Old 12-08-2001, 10:06 PM   #18
PlanetLaunch

Vito,

If you are interested in creating a quick mini-site for driving sales, then I would heavily recommend developing a website about losing weight, dieting and nutrition. You will find that sales for these types of products are tremendous right after the holidays.

Many people make new year's resolutions to lose weight, other people feel guilty about stuffing their face over the holidays with deserts and everything. That means big sales in January. Then in February/March, people in the South (U.S.) start trying to get into beach weather. Followed by April/May when people in the North (U.S.) start doing the same. But hey don't take my word for it, ask anybody who works in a health food store.

Best of luck and much success to you!
Old 12-08-2001, 10:12 PM   #19
Vito

PlanetLaunch:
That certainly makes sense! After how I tend to enjoy the goodeats over the holidays, I'd likely be my own first visitor...

Are you referring to strictly an information site, or one that has affiliate links to weight loss products? Or both?
Old 12-08-2001, 10:28 PM   #20
PlanetLaunch

Well if you are looking at creating a quick site, then your best bet is to start out with a purely promotional mini-site, providing details on (and affiliate links to) several of the better selling health/dieting products. Once you have the income-generating part of your website activated, then you will have time to add helpful articles, info and resources.

But please don't limit yourself to my suggestions. Open your mind, use your creativity and see if there is something unique and personal that you can add to your new website.

PL
Old 12-09-2001, 01:18 AM   #21
LordBiO

If you are making a site because you enjoy doing it and think you can help people by provinig information, then great!

Ok, this is not about your idea but does anyone else agree with the idea that you should only make a web site on a topic that you enjoy and love doing? Because if you enjoy making the site, then it will obviously show and be all the better.

But I think people are driven by different things, and for some it's about the money and for others like myself, it's because I love doing what I do and hopefully if I can, I will make money doing it.
Old 12-09-2001, 03:28 AM   #22
Vito

I really do understand and believe that if you love what you do, if you have a passion for what you do, you will have a much better chance of success, and the quality of your work will reflect your effort and interest.
How many of us, though, have the luxury of only working on what we have a passion for? For the most part, people do what they're doing in life to eek out a living. Most people don't "look forward" to Monday mornings, and instead focus on when the next long weekend is coming up.
At this point in my life, I can say that I LOVE putting in the countless hours building, developing and nurturing web sites. I LOVE soaking in as much info as I can, 'cause I really LOVE it.
But it's unrealistic to suggest that you should only build sites about things that you have a passion for. It helps, but it's certainly not essential. Whether my next site was about credit cards, weight loss, or male pattern baldness, I would put in whatever effort was necessary to make it work. I would enjoy the challenge, the work, and hopefully the profits. But the subject of the site doesn't necessarily have to be a burning desire for me.
Old 12-09-2001, 10:00 PM   #23
havaloc

Default i shall call him...

Here's the name for the product.

Viagrophen.

Quote:
Originally posted by sdarken
What if Vito could come up with a single product which covers all 4 at once?

A combined diet, ******, rogaine pill which you can sell to become incredibly rich!

That would get a few visitors to your site.
Old 12-10-2001, 10:57 AM   #24
FocaJohnL

My goodness, this is an interesting thread! Steve, I hadn't even thought about the legal ramifications of such sites. *heh*

Anyway, in my opinion, a short list doesn't make much sense, because the way I see it, you have to pick a market where there is demand, offer something that is competitive, and then work, work, work. That could, of course, be any market, so long as it's profitable. The problem with the short list you present is not on the demand side -- on that end, you're sure to have a large supply of potential buyers. The problem is in being competitive. Many have come before you, and many will probably follow. That's not to say it's impossible; it's just a different, more cut-throat business. You may find that your margins have to be extremely low in order to remain competitive, due to competition. In fact, and this is the problem, you may find margins so low that you aren't making a profit. That's when you find out the business doesn't make sense.

I'm not going to say it's impossible to launch one of these types of sites. It's not. It is, however, a good deal of work, and you might find it more rewarding to pick niche interests.
Old 12-10-2001, 01:10 PM   #25
Vito

John:
I suppose you're right. There are thousands of sites about these 4 topics. I guess the key is to avoid putting up another "cookie cutter" site that looks like all the rest. You have to find an angle that sets you apart. Otherwise, you fade into the background with the rest of them.
There are literally tens of thousands of gift sites on the net. When setting up www.talkingpresents.com, I chose to specialize in hard to find talking and recordable gift items. They're not items you would normally find in mainstream gift sites. It has seemed to work.
Using the same philosophy with any other site should have the same results. The trick is to find the angle...
Old 12-10-2001, 07:09 PM   #26
mr_innovate
Member.

I think that you can suceed by running sites that you don't really have an interest in, as long as you know your way around the internet and know how to get good SE listings. But remember that you will make more money from one good site rather than ten half-good ones.

It really depends on what your personality is like. I tend to keep creating new web sites as I like the buzz of launching and promoting them. In reality I should probably concentrate more on my existing sites

Regards,

mr_innovate

Last edited by mr_innovate; 12-10-2001 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2001, 08:47 PM   #27
Vito

Here's my ultimate goal:
1) 2 - 3 high quality retail sites that cater to niche markets. These would be the flagship sites...generating the majority of the income, but requiring the majority of the work.

2) 15-20 affiliate-based low maintenance sites that generate reasonable traffic and affiliate income.

With a couple of dozen sites with decent traffic, CPA/CPC ads would hopefully add a modest supplementary monthly income.

The sites would cover a wide enough spectrum so that shifts in internet trends would not significantly affect revenue stream.

Can anyone see any blatant flaws in this business model? I'd really like to know if I am misguided.

Vito
Old 12-10-2001, 10:09 PM   #28
Jeff Booth

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_innovate
I think that you can suceed by running sites that you don't really have an interest in, as long as you know your way around the internet and know how to get good SE listings. But remember that you will make more money from one good site rather than ten half-good ones.

It really depends on what your personality is like. I tend to keep creating new web sites as I like the buzz of launching and promoting them. In reality I should probably concentrate more on my existing sites

Regards,

mr_innovate
I really beg to differ on this one. For the common webmaster who is running a 'business' for himself, 10 "medium" quality sites could very well make a wealth of money over one extremely high quality site.

Most of the 'HIGH QUALITY/HIGH TRAFFIC' sites that generate massive ammounts of revenue aren't 1 man operations, and even if they are the person still has all their eggs in 1 basket

Take it from me, I spent 2 years trying to develop the best sites possible (None of these are listed in my sig/profile fyi), and have found myself focusing on smaller sites, that still have content but are far from the 'best' and cloning them to high hell. More search engine entries, more oppurtunities to get different visitors, and most important if one of my sites fail I am not 'doomed' as far as my online ventures go

I suppose to each his own, but I don't necessarily think trying to create 'mega sites' is the best route for a sole proprietor, unless of course you are the first in your niche (which these days, is well, rare).
Old 12-12-2001, 12:24 AM   #29
weagle

Default free and ***

I think according to the top keywords in search engines sort of gives you an idea what people are looking the top keyword is ***. Then again britney spears is also in the top 30 keywords it's funny as trends change so do the visitors, ie britney spears maybe in the top 30 but then after she may after be a has-been sites. But *** never changes (grin), who can get bored of ***?
hehe. What discusts me with *** sites though I'd like to reveal is most are rip off sites from other sites, and what they do is usually they subscribe to services from other popular sites and then automatically make the person login to the other sites through their sites somehow (ie buy 1 subscription to other sites) then charge say 1000 people to see that site through the username/pass they use from their site.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:04 PM   #30
eljefe3

I've found that looking over what type of email spam you receive every day tends to tell you what types of sites are making money. How many of us receive every day the "lower your debt today" and "drop 20 pounds in two months time" type of spam?

I use this information to tell me what kind of sites make good $$ out there. I personally don't use email spam as a marketing tool , but I sure do have a number of sites about similar products and it does tend to pay very well if you can get ranked well in the directories and the search engines.