Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2001, 02:27 AM   #1

Smile Cool ad (@ Yahoo!)

Hello,
Check out this "Powered by Compaq' flash Ad:

http://mail.yahoo.com

(it's on the top)

Last edited by 007; 10-16-2001 at 02:28 AM.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 02:52 AM   #2
LastActionHero

Call me dumb but I couldn't understand what the ad is trying to convey by the power cord thingy. For me no ad is effective unless it's gets across the message to me.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 03:19 AM   #3
wolfman

Red face

Are you serious? you don't get that the plug is sposed to show that yahoo is "powered by" compaq?

It seems that there aren't many ads which would be effective for you if you didn't catch on to that one

cord=power

j/k
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 04:16 AM   #4
LastActionHero

Yes the powered cord is supposed to mean powered by, but the fact is the ad only caught my attention when 007 mentioned it, before that my eyes were glued to the login area and button and I had no reason to look on the top.
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 04:44 AM   #5
Ted S

Personally, I like the ad but like msot ads, it will get played out very,v ery quickly and like msot ads we haev become so numb to the "screen top" region that many people won't even notice it. I guess thats the problem, on TV we might look away or flip the channel but we still hear most good ads a few times, ont eh web, we just scan over them....
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 08:49 AM   #6
david11982

It did catch my attention more than most other ads because there is so much movement going on. I think I would have noticed it even without 007 pointing it out. LastActionHero is right though, I don't think a lot of people are going to get it, and if they do most of them won't care that Yahoo is powered by Compaq. I guess it's just one of those "brain share" ads that is supposed to viewers in the long run. I don't know if it will be successful doing that, and even if it is, it will be very hard to track it's successes, because it won't necessarily be measured by a CTR.
david11982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2001, 01:47 PM   #7
PaulT

Funnily enough I refreshed that page to view the ad again and I had three succesive 500 server errors.

So much for being "powered" by Compaq
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote