Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2001, 03:44 AM   #1
FC

Question Local stored graphics for website?

Hello,

I'm running a online game called Ferion. It is a webbased space game.

The game is getting really popular, and the downside is that this is taking to much bandwidth. With 95% of the bandwidth going into the graphics. (the game is pretty heavy on graphics)

To give you an idea, we get around 40-50 Million hits on our servers per month.

Users signup to our site, and play for about 2-4 weeks on one game.

I've been thinking about storing the graphics locally.

The idea:

Players download a zipfile with the graphics, and unpack it somewhere.(This could be made very simple for the not so bright players) They enter the location into our site, and pages generated by our site link to their local disks.

I can check with javascript if they entered their location correct. and even what version of the gfx they have installed. (without using any security holes in browsers, just plain javascript)

An example of loading graphics locally:

test

This will show a blue picture if you have windows 98, It loads a picture from your c:/windows/ directory. it shows that pictures can be loaded from local disks.

The usability may be problem.

Do users want to download and install graphics to see a website? I don't think so. However for a game played for 2-4 weeks it should be a different matter.

I'm talking about 10-20 MB of graphics.

Does anyone here have ever tried to do this? Or do you forsee any problems I might not have thought about? Or just comments.

Last edited by FC; 10-12-2001 at 03:47 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote