Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2001, 11:43 AM   #76
Rendelius

Funny enough, things start to get better here. Although I am far off to make a living from the internet, it seems as if I will be able to cover at least the expenses soon. This may not seem a big thing to you, but this would be the first time since I started my webpage in 1999.

I quit the thought that joining an ad network would work. Instead, we now start selling ad space ourselves, and we start to see results. Being a highly taregeted site and having good contacts to the relevant industry, it turned out to be easier than thought. Actually, people were contacting us pretty soon after we put up a page that offered the opportunity to advertise with us.

Retrospectively, I am sorry that I spent that much time with comission junction or other opportunities. The only things that still work out for us regarding third party solutions is standard internet. Their search boxes provide a (small but steady) source of income, as does their popup and popunder program.

One thing I want to state before I go and have dinner *g*: I noticed that visitors became more tolerant against popups and popunders. I feared rejection when I implemented them on our site, but I haven't heard a single complaint yet. One thing that really helped was this cookie thingie that prevents the popups to be shown more than once in a 12 hours session to the same visitor. As SI doesn't count them only once in a 12 hour period, you won't lose income...
Rendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2001, 12:34 PM   #77
JP Sauve
Member.

Quote:
Originally posted by litmania
Think I'll move somewhere cheaper, less cluttered and less crime-ridden, like the south of France. Can do my online work anywhere...
Well you could always move to Canada! A nice 2 bedroom apartment in Ottawa will run you about $1200 a month, or you can get a dump for about $900. (Or $800 and $600 US dollars). Buying a small 3 bedroom single family home will run you around $190,000.

However you'll be paying about 35% income tax if you earn under $50,000 and 45% if you earn over. Your city property taxes would be around another $3500 per year if you own your home. Plus a combined sales tax of 15% (in Ontario) on almost everything you purchase and every service you get.

Cheap university, free medicare and good beer on the positive side though.
JP Sauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 04:38 AM   #78
EMINEM79

I think I could live off my sites now but Im not sure how much money I would have to throw around and blow which is what I usually like to do... lol...

I am keeping my regular part time job for the time being until my two new sites open up, they are real sites... lol... and I need the money to pay for them... also I want to take a lease out on a new car and I'll keep the job til I get it.

Then it is time to say bye to foot locker... lol

Dave

Last edited by EMINEM79; 08-21-2001 at 04:40 AM.
EMINEM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 06:04 AM   #79
Jan

Administrator

<off topic>

Who or what is foot locker????

</end off topic>

Back on topic, unemployment benefits help me out till I get back up there in the affiliate stakes!!
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 06:10 AM   #80
EMINEM79

http://www.footlocker.com

I work there part time(in a real store not the website, lol), they have stores all over the world, I know they have them in AUstralia which I belive you are from.

Dave
EMINEM79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 06:52 AM   #81
Jan

Administrator

Yes they do have them here, I just checked them out. It is no wonder I haven't heard of them.

They aren't in the state I originated from, nor are they where I am now.

NT and Tas get left out again

(Aussies will understand)
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:09 AM   #82
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
(Aussies will understand)
lol. You know it. Tazzy's like another country. Interestingly, though, it received a lot of US-imports before the rest of the country. I think some foreign firms treat the island state as a test population before rolling products, food chains and the like on the mainland.

We have plenty of Foot Locker stores in sunny Queensland. I think I'd rather publish content on the web than work around people's feet all day, though. *thinks about Al Bundy's life and shudders*

Returning back to the topic, I still make a living wholly and solely from my web work (and play), though the last two months have been tighter than most. I'm still owed a great deal of money from Engage and design clients which could turn things in my favor, but until it's in one's pocket, revenue generated means nothing.

BTW, rent is even cheaper here than in Canada, by the looks. Unless you want to live in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane where property is pricey, you can expect to have a nice 3 bedroom home for about $AU200 (approx $US105) a week. I live in a decent 3-bedroom unit with a balcony, great sunset views, AC and a 2-car garage on the outskirts of the Gold Coast (similar to Florida in terms of climate and lifestyle - we don't have quite as many sharks as the Floridians, though ) for $AU155/week. Perhaps that explains why I'm able to maintain nice profit margins while some US-based publishers continue to struggle.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 12:31 PM   #83
clay
Member.

I pay $400 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment in the US. Which isn't too bad considering in some parts of the country I would pay almost double.

I love working on the web. I also love the fact that I get to work at home while doing it. I wouldn't give it up for another job.

Last year, I only made money building websites on a contract basis for each site. I struggled then during times when I didn't have anything to do. I'm on a salary now, so I'm making enough money that I'm no longer struggling, and I'm very happy about it. I started my salary back in Janruary, and I've gotten so many raises that my salary has more than doubled since I started. Not as great as it sounds because I started at a reallly reallly really low salary because I was so desperate for work at the time. My employers have been great. I wish I had time to post my whole story, it's quite amazing. I must be the luckiest person on the internet. I have to smile everytime I think about where I was 2 years ago before I ever got on the internet, and where I am now.

Answer to the question: I make enough to live off, and I support 4 people with my internet earnings. I'm always looking for raises and new ways to make more money =)
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 06:33 PM   #84
jswap

Quote:
Originally posted by clay
I pay $400 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment in the US. Which isn't too bad considering in some parts of the country I would pay almost double.
Almost double? Try $1600/mo for a one bedroom apartment with no air conditioning, which is what I pay in good old silicon valley, CA. ugh
jswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 06:37 PM   #85
Uneek

Red face

You have to be kidding!
Uneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 07:51 PM   #86
clay
Member.

wow, not moving there. Could buy warehouse space for that much here lol.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 08:12 PM   #87
Lil_Red

Rents in the Boston area are just as bad. Small studios start around $1000/mo.
Lil_Red is offline   Reply With Quote