Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2001, 03:01 AM   #1
hobbnet

Default Obtaining a reseller # ...

So I am throwing around the idea of opening my own retail website...

I have been looking at different companies that provide wholesale goods that I am interested in selling. Most of these sites, though, require you to have a reseller # to be able to purchase their products.

My question is how exactly should I go about obtaiing a reseller # so I can buy from wholesalers and collect sales tax from people in my state?

What are the costs involved?

Also, can anyone share their experiences with buying wholesale goods online? Is it usually just as easy as having the money and the reseller #?

Thanks a million

(BTW, Steve great forum idea...I was first shocked when I saw all these new forums the other day. I knew you were a little catious about making this many forums back in the day. Hope it works out well. I sure like this one!)
hobbnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 10:37 AM   #2
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

I am in the process of doing exactly what you wish to do so will provide some of my thoughts and experience on the topic.

First, if you are not already officially incorporated, then I recommend doing this. Unless you are officially a business, no real wholesale company will deal with you. There may be other options, however I found incorporating as an LLC/Corporation to be better than other forms.

For the reseller number, you should find information regarding how to obtain this from your state's web site. You likely will have to be incorporated or officially recognized as doing business to obtain this information. The costs will vary from state to state however it should be low to nothing.

(Remember I'm not an expert in this field -- I'm going through the same process right now and these comments are from my experience).

Last edited by Jack; 08-02-2001 at 10:43 AM.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 11:28 AM   #3
Strider

Being incorporated is a good step to take but what Jack said is not always true. At least not in my experience. I ran a retail web site before I incorporated and had no problem getting a Sales License as a Sole Proprieter and I had no problem becoming a licensed reseller to the three largest computer wholesalers in the country.

For Pennsylvania, reseller # is the same as getting a sales tax license. Your best bet would be find out from your state Government what you need to get and how you go about applying for it.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote