Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Technical Questions about geek/talk
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2001, 02:15 AM   #1
LastActionHero

Default Custom avatar size

As suggested by steve I'm posting this question in the right forum

I noticed that the custom avatar file size limit is only 3072 bytes. No animated avatar of good quality can fit into 3072 bytes. I suggest that you change the limit to atleast 5000 bytes.

Thank You

LastActionHero
LastActionHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 12:59 PM   #2
LastActionHero

So what do you think about the custom avatars size limit Steve?
Old 07-21-2001, 01:14 PM   #3
suresk

Try using a program like JASC PaintShop pro to reduce the file size. Thats what I ended up doing, and it really didn't degrade the quality at all.
suresk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 01:14 PM   #4
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Thanks for the post and request. I see your point but their are many many other issues to consider.

1) Please consult http://66.33.83.213/forums/misc.php?...&page=1#avatar which has exstensive help and links which might help you.

2) This is a Webmaster centric Community and so we need to keep things consistent with our focus which is quality discussions and not a bunch of distracting pictures under your name. Don't get me wrong, I love them and bigger ones for other types of Communities are neat and appropriate. The Webmaster centric Communities that I studied had very very few animated Avitars in use. You can still animate but need to tone it down. See member MattC who has one.

3) Lot's of folks are on a dial up connection so bigger Avatars will slow the thread display for them

4) Avatars are stored inside the MySQL datatbase and consume bandwidth. It's far to early for me to measure this but this can be a huge hit which costs money.

5) We already have a fairly large selection of smiles which you can add to your sig and thus they appear in every post you make if the sig check box is enabled. This permits you to express yourself. I'm happyy to add more subject to the following conditions:

1.4 K Max file size
Public Domain and not (C)
Suitable for a Mainstream Webmaster Community and suitable to our unique mission.

Conclusion: No changes in our limits. I will be happy to re-visit the issue in 3 months.

HTH and thanks for the post
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2001, 01:25 PM   #5
LastActionHero

Thank you for your comments Steve. I will retain my current Avatar.

suresk: I tried reducing the image using photoshop. I finally managed to reduce it to 15 colours to keep it within limits. But the quality was not good.
Old 07-21-2001, 01:37 PM   #6
Steve_S

You need to use "flat colors" aka solid tones. Avoid graduations and use only a small number of flat colors.

Look at this members very nice animated one:

http://66.33.83.213/forums/member.ph...fo&userid=2584

Have you consulted our exstensive and enhanced FAQ documents on this issue?

good luck
Old 07-21-2001, 02:01 PM   #7
LastActionHero

I was actually thinking of this avatar which I use at freewebspace.net. But since it isn't related to any webmaster issue I won't use it. I will continue using my current avatar until I come up with some other idea.

I read the FAQ after reading your post Steve.

I hope to read your comments about my proposed avatar.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:26 PM   #8
Steve_S

note my own

loops 10 times and then stops
Old 07-21-2001, 08:50 PM   #9
demae

I personally don't like animated avatars, because the motion is disturbing when I'm trying to read a post.

But that's the nice thing about vBulletin: I can just set "Show user's avatar in their posts?" to no and I won't be bothered by it.
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2001, 12:51 AM   #10
jemma

Location: New York City: From Ground Zero to Ground of Heroes
Arrow

LastActionHero wrote:I was actually thinking of this avatar which I use at freewebspace.net
Hi, I took a look, and that animated GIF is around 5K, has 32 colors, a transparent background, and 10 frames. Dropping a photo-realistic GIF down to 16 colors doesn't work well (as you already discovered). You can shrink the size below 3K by dropping some frames. It will affect the action some, but you can minimize that when choosing which of the frames you want to drop.

Also, if you change the transparent background to a solid color, you might be able to optimize the GIF to an even smaller file size.

Using a GIF animation program is the easiest way to make these changes. If you don't have one, most companies offer time-limited free trial downloads - so if all you want to do is fix up your avatars, you can do it and not pay anything.

Jemma
jemma is offline   Reply With Quote