Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2001, 01:25 PM   #91
Scuba

Unhappy

In the begining ........
Quote:
Originally posted by KP of Snooply:
I was thinking, why don't we all join forces. Keeping seperate ownerships. Count the traffic as one, get branded, and you never know DoubleClick might be pounding on our door, advertisers also?

It would be the same, cept we'd place something at the top, some kind of name, and go from there. But before we can even do that, I need to know who of you are interested and start a convo about this so we can get the disadvantages and advantages to this project.
What you are Talking about now is Creating a New Ad network - only run by YOU.

To come up with a Technolagy for a Ad network will require a Small mint.
Espasialy if you are thinking to offer all the services that the oder networks are offering seperatly - but under one roof.
Also to create somthing more smaller like in the original Idea will require Time and Money.

The original Idea was good - combine the Uniqs of lot's of small sitet - so when we go to a EXISTING ad network - we will get a better CPM or any other rate - since we have more Page View's. (now the question is whether the Ad network will agree to it.....).

------------------
Why don't you read the free literature we included with your computer? It's a Classic love story about a spanish guy named Manual
If you are into Video Editing - http://www.highvid.com
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 01:33 PM   #92
Matt1

Unhappy

One thing that has always gotten me about online advertising, is the fact that those visitors that visit yahoo looking for jokes, are the same ones that visit our sites looking for the same stuff. Yet yahoo can charge 10x what we can.

I'm all for any idea that makes money, all ideas have some problems, but we have spent years building websites with traffic surely we can take a month or two and get a network together that can make some money.

I have about 250-300,000 uniques, I'm willing to include, also I will donate bandwidth too.

Lets not give up this fast, those of you that don't like th idea fine, you can leave, but as for us we will at least make an attempt. I for one am not making much now so I don't have much to loose. The net is still way to young for an idea of a bunch of webmasters to fail without even starting.

So what do we have so far?

I have 250-300,000 uniques.
Plus I can donate bandwidth.

What does everyone else have, lets get the number together so we can see what we can do. I have been lurking for sometime, and have finally found something, I can get invloved with. We are all honest people, so we should be able to work something out. Plus we have several on this board that already buy advertising, and others that program, other do graphics, I think we will find that we have all we need.

One other thing I can't help but notice, goto.com is making it because they have traffic, we all have enough traffic I bet to give them a run. We should be able to make a partnership with them, plus there our other companies that would love to have a bunch of webmasters with a ton of traffic together. I think we should be able to easily hit 100-250 million pageviews together with at least 10-25 million uniques. I think it will be big enough to get some attention.

Lets keep the ball rolling.
Matt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 02:44 PM   #93
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Arrow

Hello Matt1,

Welcome to the Forum and BB http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

"...Lets not give up this fast, those of you that don't like th idea fine, you can leave, but as for us we will at least make an attempt..."

I'm sorry but I can't leave. I own the "joint" http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif and neither can anyone else, given the fact that "they" have posting rights and this is an open BB.

Actually, KP asked for all thoughts/sides on his plan and those of us who occassionaly insert what senior member and our resident metaphor expert Edwin terms "cold water" all wan't the idea to work but it needs to be carefully examined from all perspectives. Iv'e read every post in this thread before I make this statement.

Boy o boy, you should see some of the ideas I come up with. Wacky at best but without the honest and candid advice of Team Geek I guarantee you I would have done some really icky/crazy/unsound things.

Please excuse some of my slightly off topic remarks.

------------------
Steve_S
Administrator/Owner/Webmaster/Tribal Chief/Janitor
Read what our Members think of geek/talk.
"Adversity has the effect of eliciting talents, which in prosperous circumstances would have lain dormant." -Horace
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 03:40 PM   #94
xuniverse
Member.

Unhappy

Matt - good idea.. lets all list what we can give.

I can give around 100,000-200,000/views/month for the first couple months then hopefully break into around 3-400,000...

s
xuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 03:52 PM   #95
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

FreewareWorld.com
250,000 monthly impressions.

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Snooply.com - We Snoop. You Find.
KP of Snooply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 11:41 PM   #96
KP of Snooply
Member.

Unhappy

I'm sure we can come up with some kind of name. But let the ads run from AdAthon or something like this.

We can make different channels and let web site opt-in to the category which their site is supposed to be in.

It can be something like About.com, just it's by webmasters, real ones and ones that know what they are talking about.

------------------
Kaumil Patel
Snooply.com - We Snoop. You Find.
KP of Snooply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 11:48 PM   #97
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

Excluding my gaming, holiday and low-quality sites, I could provide about 250,000 uniques and approximately 1,500,000 pageviews.

In addition to the categories above, I think we should consider a category specifically designated to "Regional" content. I'm aware that whatever ad management platform we select will have the ability to geotarget, but since we're working slightly differently from the traditional ad networks (ie, pushing sponsorship and other custom creative packages), targeting by technology won't be enough. This could provide another hook to the network.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 02:33 AM   #98
spyk

Cool

Interesting Idea..

-I just launched a statistics service, which with a few modifications could easily manage your tracking requirements. (spyk.com)

-I have two domains I'm not using which might interest you:
colonise.com
business-statistics.com
spyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 03:30 AM   #99
pete57

Smile

Wow, all of this seems great! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif)) Well my two biggest pages are on Rivals but I still have an entertainment network (sports is the category getting more hits right now) that is currently getting over 100K impressions/month but should be over 250K soon if you don't start up this network too fast! http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif The network really started like 2 months ago so...

------------------
pete57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 07:38 PM   #100
kudzu

Thumbs up

I have a yahoo listed site, top 5 in two keyword searches. I am a graphic designer turned webdesigner. I know I have a lot of kinks to work out, but I have lots of content and would love to get involved in your idea. Ill keep reading this thread to see whats new.

{sigh** I have not yet figured out how to make money from my site. My only affiliation is with CJ. I have made a whopping 18 cents.
you can visit www.scootervillage.com

------------------
kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2001, 08:13 PM   #101
Rendelius

Unhappy

www.rpgdot.com could give about 250.000 page views per month. It is a CRPG news site.

I could donate a domain name, too: speedfolio.com. It was purchased for a bank, is tested worldwide and scored very nicely *g*.
Rendelius is offline   Reply With Quote