Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-1999, 09:54 AM   #1
Questy

Default HTML editors .. A different spin ... $$$

Greetings all ...

I started the post on HTML Editors awhile back, and I'm happy to see the lively discussion. With that in mind, I'd like to break off two separate topics...

On a different post, I talk of site management, but on this post let's talk $$$.

If you have a beginning web page builder as a student, could you justify asking them to spend $300?

Adobe Page Mill, Allaire Home Site, Claris Home Page, and others, are all around the $100 price range.

If the question was asked, which HTML editor, or site mananger, gives you the best bang for the buck? Which would it be? What if I'm new at this? What if I really wasn't sure I want to spend $300?

What do you think?

------------------
Regards,
Questy

The small business and technology guru,
It's not just a job, it's an addiction!
www.computerguru.net

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-1999, 01:02 PM   #2
Questy

Ever hear of The HTML PowerTools suite by Talicom?

I haven't used them yet, if you'd like to join me in testing them, check out:
http://www.tali.com/godown.html
Old 03-29-1999, 02:51 PM   #3
Terrahab

Good point, I'm just learning. Don't really know what I want. Might spend the $79 dollars or so, but don't really want to spend $399.

There's got to be a consumer grade product that doesn't cost that much? There's ton's of 49 or 59 desk top publishing packages you see at places like Office Max. I'm still wondering what a decent web page program is at that same price. Why doesn't Netscape sell something beyond the freebieware?
Terrahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-1999, 02:19 AM   #4
DianeV

I dunno. I always thought NS should have charged $10 for their browser ... they might have sold less, but they'd have made millions ...
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-1999, 04:30 PM   #5
Questy

Why don't they (Netscape) develope some web building tools and sell them? How 'bout some graphic utilities?

I think a Netscape - Corel merger would make sense. Corel already packages Netscape with their office suite. Corel has a reputation for graphics, and although the Corel Office Suite has a long way to go to catch MS Office, most of the folks that I know that have used both, think that Corel is cleaner and easier.

Unfortunately I think Netscape was forced into the browser wars, but I'll stop at that, since the topic is webmaster issues, not politics! http://www.very-cool-stuff.com/ubb/smile.gif

Questy