Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #91
Darryl

Default LyricFind/Harry Fox Agency Deal

As we march closer to legalizing lyrics on the web (and everywhere else), I'd like to post the latest development for LyricFind:

http://www.harryfox.com/docs/HFA_LyricFind_pr.pdf
http://www.lyricfind.com/20061004HFA.htm

The Harry Fox Agency and LyricFind Enter Landmark Lyrics Licensing Arrangement

October 4, 2006 - The Harry Fox Agency, Inc. (HFA), a leading U.S. music rights licensing organization, and LyricFind, a legal source of song lyrics online, announced today that they have entered a lyrics licensing arrangement for a variety of digital uses, such as downloads, integration with online music services and devices, and enhanced search capability for music catalogs. HFA’s over 30,000 affiliated publishers will have the option of participating in this licensing arrangement, the first lyrics licensing arrangement the company has offered.

While terms are not disclosed, this arrangement is being offered to publishers on a commission-free basis – publishers will receive the gross royalties collected by HFA for use of their catalog’s lyrics; HFA will not deduct its usual 6.75% commission. Once publishers opt in to the HFA-LyricFind licensing arrangement, they will be able to add, review, and edit lyrics on LyricFind’s database. The arrangement encompasses the personal use of lyrics in the U.S.

“This licensing arrangement with HFA and LyricFind will support the development of a legal, online lyrics marketplace. Properly licensed lyric databases will be a real asset to digital music services, and promote exciting new options for consumers who love music,” said Gary Churgin, President & CEO, HFA. “In addition, this arrangement shows HFA’s ability to expand beyond its traditional mechanical licensing business to provide innovative licensing solutions for digital asset businesses, resulting in new revenue opportunities for its publishers.”

“LyricFind is committed to creating a robust, legal database of digital lyrics that will make online music services even more compelling,” said Darryl Ballantyne, President, LyricFind. “This arrangement with HFA enables us to reach the majority of the U.S. publishing industry, giving us the potential to grow exponentially, while revitalizing a historic revenue stream for music publishers.”

About HFA

Established in 1927 by the National Music Publishers’ Association, HFA represents over 30,000 music publishers in the U.S. for their mechanical licensing needs, as well as for uses such as ringtones, background music and lyrics, issuing licenses and collecting and distributing royalties. HFA also provides collection and monitoring services to its publisher clients for music distributed and sold in over 75 territories around the world. For more information about HFA, or to become an affiliate publisher or a licensee, see www.harryfox.com.

About LyricFind

LyricFind is leading the charge to legally provide lyrics online to digital music services, web sites, and many other applications. LyricFind currently offers both lyric-based search and lyric display functionality in a variety of models to fit client needs. For more information about LyricFind, please visit www.lyricfind.com.

Contact for HFA:
Laurie Jakobsen
212-834-0133
ljakobsen@harryfox.com

Contact for LyricFind:
Darryl Ballantyne
323-275-1163 x101
darryl@lyricfind.com
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:38 AM   #92
Czar

Webmaster

Thanks for this latest update, Darryl. It sounds as though a product release is now exceptionally close.

What are the nuts-n-bolts of the offering in its latest form? Is it still based on a CPM cost rate, or has another model been introduced, as this press release seems to suggest.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:56 AM   #93
Darryl

There are a variety of models that we're able to do, but only two of them make sense for lyrics web sites. CPM is one of them, and the other is subscription (or, we can do a hybrid of the two).

In a subscription model, if a site wanted to charge for a "premium" version of the site, we would take a piece of the subscription fee and allow each subscriber unlimited lyric views for that flat rate. This model would particularly be useful for sites that offer WimAmp/iTunes/WMP plugins that don't directly generate revenue - they could be something available to premium subscribers only. In a hybrid deal, non-subscribers could still view lyrics (and ads!) using the CPM model.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:57 AM   #94
theinternetking

How would this affect my site http://www.lyricslook.com? It doesnt host any lyrics it just links to the other site. Same thing as google but much cleaner results.

Last edited by theinternetking; 10-12-2006 at 01:58 AM.
theinternetking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #95
Darryl

You're not the same as Google - you're the same as Napster. And we all know what happened to them...

The difference is that you're knowingly cataloguing all the content in your directory; you aren't just spidering sites automatically with a robot.

That being said, you'd be nowhere near the top of the list of sites to pursue - at least, not on my list. We probably won't even get to you (and if we license the sites you're linking to, then your site becomes legit as well!). But there is certainly a solid argument to be made that your site isn't legit, and you may be at risk from people other than me.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #96
theinternetking

ok please dont go after me.

i heard that http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ was based in russia and that the mpa cant take his site down because the laws dont apply their. is this true?
theinternetking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:02 AM   #97
Darryl

I'm not sure where Ultimate-Guitar is based, but if they are in Russia, it's kind of a grey area at this point - sites like AllOfMP3 are based there and are operating safely right now, but there are a lot of talks going on between the US and Russia regarding Russia joining the WTO, and some recent changes to Russian copyright law that came into effect September 1st.

In short, YMMV. ROMS generally likes to license everything and keep the money to themselves, which doesn't really go over too well. We'll see what the effects of the WTO negotiations are, and that might really start to open up vulnerabilities for web sites based there.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #98
dickcheney

I hate to hear that about guitar tab sites
I am an amateur musician, and while I do purchase a fair amount of sheet music, some of my favorite music I have only been able to find online, or it may be I want to review the guitar tab before purchasing, because I can usually tell after a quick look if it something that I can play
I haven't noticed much change so far, and I hope a big change does not come
dickcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #99
nidhish

Big companies always target small guys to set an example & thats how they work ...so i'm not surprised if they go down like this .
nidhish is offline   Reply With Quote