Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email > Anti-Spam Talk For Webmasters
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Thumbs up Spammers less successful than many think

I don't know about you, but finding out that spam emails tend to convert at a rate of less than 1 sale per 1,000,000 messages has made my day.

Check out this article about how operating a spam botnet just isn't as profitable a venture as it used to be, or as many of us may have suspected:
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...Profitable.htm

Hopefully once the spammers realise this is no longer an easy (if illegal) way to make a living, they'll turn their attention to less irritating, resource choking and wasteful pursuits.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Jack
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

You just have to laugh when you hear a 0.0000081% conversion rate and only about 3.5 million a year in sales for wasting so many people's time and resources. I bet Nigerian Princes convert better than that.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
mystuff

one reason of this is maybe because of people are becoming more and more alert
they can't be easily cheated anyway
mystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

I certainly hope that's the case, mystuff. Welcome to Geek/Talk, by the way.

No doubt improved spam filters at various levels of the delivery pipeline are also helping.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 AM   #5
Tyrese34

Spammers are less successful than many think but they still as annoying as many think.
Tyrese34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

You can say that again. Welcome to Geek/Talk, Tyrese34.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #7
daryljames

I agree that it's a refreshing statistic to hear. However, most of their work is automated, so until they find an easier and more efficient way to make that 3.5 million, we'll still have to deal with spam.
daryljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
wulaishiwo

Spamm others is really a waste of time to do.They can't learn anything from the job and will lost a lot of time.I think the job itself is a punishment of people do that.
wulaishiwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
ctcredit

I think you are right. I also don't want to read spam emails on my inbox. I delete the email right away without reading the content on it if I didn't know the sender.
ctcredit is offline   Reply With Quote