Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with Email > Anti-Spam Talk For Webmasters
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Default McColo shuts down; spam volume drops 60%

A long-suspected spammer-friendly colocation service was shut down earlier this month. While no legal judgment has yet been made against the company, at least one monitoring service has reported that worldwide spam volume dropped precipitously immediately after the Californian McColo Corp was disconnected.

See more here:
http://www.internetnews.com/commenta...le.php/3786406

Could it be that shutting down just a few of these bigger "bulletproof" colo hosting facilities could save the world billions upon billions of dollars in lost productivity and resource utilization?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

While I'm sure we all would have hoped that McColo's shutdown made a permanent and lasting dent in the vile spam culture, it seems that spammers are regrouping and investing in more sophisticated and increasingly distributed systems so as to avoid future shutdowns on this scale.

This article highlights some of the techniques and exploits spammers are using to rebuild their botnet arsenals:
http://www.internetnews.com/security...ost+Ground.htm

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
Strider

One could only dream. I think it's great that there are consequences and that they acted to get them shut down but I think SPAMMERS are an unstoppable force with the current mail server technology. At least, unstoppable when it comes to sending it out, there are some great tools and services that cut down on what is actually received from these email blasts. We use a 3rd party email filtering service that checks all email before it gets to our server and traps SPAM in a queue for later review. It's the best solution we have found but it still get's through. It's amazing how hard these people will work to send out junk. It must be worth it for them but I can't imagine who is actually looking at most of this and actually clicking through and buying based on a SPAM email.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
wsz

On an anectdotal, non-precise note, I did notice a definite decrease in my inbox junk load immediately after the McColo spanking.

But, the Internet was designed keep re-routing those packets around nuked nodes, to sort of heal itself, for reliable communication after a disaster. And thus, the spammers found new paths between them and me.

The spiced ham potted meat product is flowing just as fast now, as it was before
wsz is offline   Reply With Quote