Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Arrow The behavioural advertising trend heats up

From 2003 until now, most talk in terms of online advertising technology has resolved around "contextual advertising", which attempts to match ads to content (usually driven by a massive keyword database and operated by a search player such as Yahoo, Google or Miva).

As the Web 2.0 revolution heats up and eyeballs shift to sites that are more conversational, increasingly user generated and often quite general in terms of their content focus, contextual and channel-targeted ads seem less suitable. With the amalgamation of hundreds of small ad networks into a handful of large networks, it is now possible to deliver ads based on consumer's behavioural practices - by taking a snapshot of what types of sites they like to visit, by possibly looking at online purchasing histories, etc.

Personally, I'm concerned about the privacy ramifications of advanced behavioural targeting, but I always have been a touch paranoid about personal privacy. Nevertheless, it looks as though advertisers are calling out for more behavioural targeting, so that could easily become the hot term of the coming year.

What do you all think about behavioural advertising? Do you feel that consumers should be tracked more accurately and ads targeted to them based on predictions about their interests and mindset, or is doing so too open to abuse for you as a publisher, advertiser or consumer to stomach?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #2
Del

I think that the ad providers could just as easily just take the types of ads that get the most clicks at site 'x' and modify what they show based on that. The same thing, but without checking a visitor's history, instead checking the history of ad clicks on the web site.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
alemcherry

With the introduction of chrome, behavioural advertising probably got to the next level. Personally I feel it is unfortunate to see a company that revolutionalised online advertising, releasing a complete spyware.
alemcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
Nutri

I don't like behavioural advertising at all, I'm not even found of it when using search.
Nutri is offline   Reply With Quote