Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
Czar

Webmaster

Arrow Google Ad Manager - The free ad server to conquer all?

Google's first release since its successful purchase of DoubleClick is - in typical Google fashion - a free tool designed to reduce competition in the hosted ad management market.

Ad Manager, as it is to be known, is described in Google's words as "...a hosted ad management solution that can help you sell, schedule, deliver, and measure all of your directly-sold and network-based inventory."

This will compete against popular solutions such as OpenAds, AdJuggler, AdvertPro and many other solutions that are currently used by indie web publishers to track, display and optimise ad campaigns.

The website may be found here:
https://www.google.com/admanager

What do you all think about this? Will this prove as popular as Google Analytics in pulling web publishers away from other solutions to an integrated Google-oriented platform for managing all of their advertising, or will publishers tend to hold on to their existing platforms to avoid lumping all eggs and market intelligence into one basket?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:43 AM   #2
praveen

i dont think small publishers can get in now. the beta signup form does ask about the pageviews/impressions the site(s) get.

So, just like any other thing, the high volume publishers would be the first one to check it out...

lets hope the numbers i have given are okay for them to give me an invite

even still, i am happy with what i am using now. so this has to be a very nice one to pull me into it.

but then again, do we need to go to google for all the things??
praveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
Czar

Webmaster

You could be right. I didn't realise that this was still in 'invitation beta' mode, but should have assumed as much given the way most of Google's services have been launched.

I just shot through an application also.

Has anyone here already received an invitation to use the platform?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
historyforkids

Default no invitation here

But I also sent off an application. I'm spending $500/month for ad serving software right now; it's good, but I'd be willing to see if I could replace it with Google's free version.

It does seem a little like putting all your eggs in one basket though. Suppose someday Google made a demand I wasn't willing to go with (like their nofollow edicts, or limiting where you could put ads on a page, or what you could say in your content)? Would I lose my adserving software along with my Adsense account and my organic search rankings? Pretty disruptive.

Karen
historyforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #5
AdamAGB

Hello!

(I've been a lurker for many, many, many years, since I was 16ish, I'm 25 now, and finally decided to register.)

I had the fortune of being accepted to the Google Ad Manager beta. Truthfully I'd give it a C right now--I'm going to remain with OpenX for the time being. Once Google evolves the product though I'm sure it'll rate higher, we can't be too critical of a beta product

Biggest positives:
-- It's free
-- I'm sure it'll improve at a rapid clip
-- The targeting/frequency capping options are neat

Biggest negatives:
-- It has one of the steepest learning curves of any ad server I've used, not elegant at all IMO (reminds me of Atlas vs. AdvertPro/OpenX...)
-- It allows you to upload flash banners BUT it requires clickTags for all click tracking, which is silly
-- There's no way to roadblock advertisements
-- For flash ads you can't set the embed parameter to opaque or transparent

I can't see many large publishers adopting it; more hobbyists/blogs at this point, but I'm optimistic in a year or two it'll be a player in features/functionality. I'm looking forward to the hosted offering by OpenX as well.

Last edited by AdamAGB; 03-24-2008 at 08:32 PM.
AdamAGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
Czar

Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAGB View Post
(I've been a lurker for many, many, many years, since I was 16ish, I'm 25 now, and finally decided to register.)
Now that I like to hear! Congrats for registering and welcome to the community, Adam.

Thanks also for your insight into Google Ad Manager. Even in beta state, it surprises me that this tool isn't particularly usable. While DoubleClick DART often scared away smaller pubilshers, Google's strength in the marketplace often seems to be in its ability to distill things down to appear simpler than they are. I guess they haven't quite shruggede off the DoubleClick shackles in this case yet.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:10 PM   #7
praveen

Thanks Adam for the review and Welcome to GV.

As Czar pointed out its surprising that it is not easy/usable. Maybe they just wanted to make it available and do the changes as feedback comes in.
praveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
dognose

Well, I'm looking at it right now, but it looks pretty standard google style.

It really reminds me of yahoo's DMX, which I think is the best free hosted option out there right now. It's easier than google's adserver, it has fine grained geographic targetting and frequency capping. It also has about 10 built in ad serving networks that that "bid" on your adspace. You can created sub accounts for your advertisers to track their impressions and costs, though I don't think it has salesperson accounts. I've been using it to manage my default adspaces, but I may move it up to the top notch serving up all my ads.
dognose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
codegeek

You guys are being to easy on Google.

This 'tool' is a absolute nightmare, as unfriendly an interface as any software I've tried to use the last 10 years.

I given it 2 trys and will probably take another stab at it since its free and OpenAds slows down my server. Additionally I want to stay in the Google loop in the event a worthwhile product evolces from it.

Mike
codegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #10
codegeek

It's 2 updates later and I while I think it will could become the standard in another year or so, at this time I still find it a 'work in progress'.

It is well supported with forums and tutorials for those with the time and ambition. I'm sure some people can make it 'sing' but the interface is not at all intuitive and far to spartan for me.

Here's a list of new features from their latest email.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Updated Features and Recent Improvements
Ad Network Orders - Introducing a new and improved way to manage your ad networks and remnant inventory. With network orders, you can set unlimited flight dates as well as daily impression caps.

Day and Time Targeting - Don't want your orders to run on weekends? No problem. With day and time targeting, you can set any new line items you create to run only during specific hours or days, or as little as 15 minutes per week.

Bookmark Reports - You can now use your web browser to bookmark custom reports to easily revisit them at any time.

AdSense Reporting Update - In your inventory reports you can elect to view AdSense data for AdSense ads served through Ad Manager. This data will now reflect ad units, not the individual ads as previously reported. For example, if your AdSense skyscraper unit contains four separate text ads, your reports will now only reflect the performance for the single skyscraper unit.

Additional Report Segmenting Options - Your delivery and sales reports now have the ability to be segmented by targeting criteria. Additionally, all of your reports can now be segmented by line item reservation type.

New Delivery Pacing - Any new orders that you create will use our new delivery pacing. Line items will now run slightly ahead of schedule to ensure they complete on time. Your line items also now have the ability to more aggressively "catch up" if they fall behind schedule.

Last edited by codegeek; 05-30-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:17 AM   #11
codegeek

Default Google has opened up the ad serving service to everyone

http://adsense.blogspot.com/2008/08/...-everyone.html