Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2006, 03:50 AM   #1
lmergen

Default Bank account

Hello,

Well, this might be a strange question, but it might be on other people's minds too. I am currently looking to open a bank account somewhere in the US, but don't have the ability to visit any bank in question personally; it would have to be a completely 'online' account opening.

Now, I am not into US banking at all; I do know I probably need a checking account, but I have no ideas which banks would allow this. I have a small (registered) business in The Netherlands, of which I could fax proof - but then still, which banks are "good" banks which can be recommended ?

Anyone who could give me advice on this would be really helpful!
lmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Larwee

GeekGuide

Imergen, one problem could be with having a Social Security number. I can't speak for every single bank in the United States. But many do require that people be residents of the United States and have Social Security numbers, for government required reporting purposes.

Last edited by Larwee; 12-08-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Larwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #3
Sashman

It's possible to open up an account as a non-resident although most banks do not allow this. There are quite a few examples of companies, such as Casale Media, opening up us accounts to pay publishers easier. I believe both Bank of America and Citibank allow non-resident accounts. There may be some regulations depending on where you live, although the Netherlands should be fine. I would expect many holds and possibly a rather high mininum balance. You also open up your US assets to the American court system.
Sashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
Sashman

Here is a thread that talks about the procedures for opening a bank with Citibank and alternatives.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=587472

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
lmergen

Hello,

Thank for your replies; I asked around a bit today, and got very mixed advice, ranging from "impossible" to suggestions that I need to get myself a SSN. They all basicly come down to the fact that it's gonna be pretty hard, and since I know the bank I have over here in the Netherlands is also active in the USA, I think I will just get myself a dollar account there since they are supposed to be offering that.

My main issue for wanting a US bank account is to make it easier to pay for transactions by customers; since it appears to be such a major hassle at the moment, I think I will pass for that and just fix the currency conversion issue. :-)

Last edited by lmergen; 12-08-2006 at 02:49 PM.
lmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
Sashman

You don't need a SSN. Here's a quote from the thread I linked to, which was confirmed true by our accountant that has set up accounts for foreigners.

Quote:
The answer to your question is Yes, non-residents of the US can indeed
open a US-based bank account, with online access to the accounts,
credit cards, and so on. It's not an easy process, but it is
possible.

There is no online procedure for doing this at Citibank. They will
need to receive from you -- via the mail -- copies of a number of key
documents -- an application form, 2 forms of identification (at least
one with a photo), information about your in-country bank, and so on.

There are minimum deposit requirements as well, but these vary
depending on the type of account and the types of services you need.

To get the process started, you should call Citibank's International
Personal Banking (IPB) group at:

1-813-604-3000
Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #7
DJ_B

As I'm sure is the case for many Canadians living near the US border, I have a US bank account.

For the SSN they basically ignore it and just give me a default one like 300 000 000. The process might be easier for Canadians, but who knows. For the record, I'm with Bank of America.
DJ_B is offline   Reply With Quote