Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > Traditional (Offline) Marketing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #1
xgentravis

Default Thank you gifts

Hello, all. I'm Not ENTIRELY sure i'm in the right forum, but ihave no idea where else to post this.
My name is Travis, and I work with a flash game development company, www.xgenstudios.com
Recently we have made a few business deals, and are now venturing into previously uncharted territory for us, thank you gifts/notes.
What, If anything is customary? We also had a contact that helped arrange the deals in the first place... What would be appropriate for him?
Thank you very much in advance for any advice

Travis
xgentravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 02:08 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Don't worry too much about what is customary as far as gifts are concerned. The more original you can be, the better, as the standard range of corporate gifts (mousepads, pens, calendars, motivational cards and promotional CD-ROMs) are forgotten pretty quickly by most.

Claxon sent mugs to its affiliates a few months ago. While the gift itself was pretty standard, receiving a mug in the mail is a fairly rare occurrence, so this generated a good degree of buzz (including a Geek/Talk thread dedicated to the gift). CJ sent a wooden train whistle to a select group of affiliates years ago; a gift that is still discussed today (don't say anything wsz ), and Google sent funky illuminating radios.

As a matter of fact, all of those gifts generated buzz threads on Geek/Talk, as I'm sure they would have in other circles. They did so primarily through being unusual and not conforming to what is customary or traditional.

Even the timing of your gift can be most effective when it doesn't conform to tradition. Often, companies will send gifts after an event has occurred or at Christmas time. If you alter this by sending a gift before the normal time, or by delivering gifts in celebration of the New Year, for example, you could further differentiate your brand from the others.

If you'd like, we can bounce a few ideas around in this thread related to your particular situation. Feel free to let us know a few ideas for gifts that you have and what you'd like to celebrate and our members will let you know what they consider might be the most effective choice.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
xgentravis

Thank you. The gifts are for two different groups. One who we recently signed a contract with, and one who helped us get said contract in the first place. Would it be appropriate to give them the same gift or should they be individual.
Another question would be wether they should be Branded?
Ie. Would I be sending them "XGen" mugs? I imagine i should, but that creates an issue sing as we don't have too much merchandise beyond T-shirts.
Would Cards be appropriate?
Food?
Any ideas, would be very, very much appreciated
Thanks Again
Travis

Last edited by xgentravis; 08-15-2005 at 11:50 PM.
xgentravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Czar

Webmaster

The choice of gift really depends on what sort of value it represents. A nice card may be all that's required if you just want to show appreciation or celebrate a new relationship. If one of your clients represents a major brand who would normally only work through an agency or if your sales folk went out of their way to encourage an important prospect to use XGen rather than a competitor, then sure, a dozen roses (not red), a nice bottle of champagne, tickets to a concert or a hamper of gourmet goodies might do a better job of conveying your extreme gratitude.

Not everything has to be branded, and sometimes simply slipping a business card or a "with compliments" slip in with the generic card will be sufficient. If you are looking to give a gift that isn't food or experience related, such as a mug, pen or item of clothing, definitely try to make sure that it's branded. If the client does get some use out of your gift, your logo and contact details will then be readily accessible.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:03 PM   #5
etechsupport

Thank you Czar, very good suggestion!

xgentravis,

Loyal customers represent your company and your goodwill, you should select 15 to 20% your loyal customers whose 75% share is in your business, and you should plan gifts which seems best as suggested by Czar, as an option I just add that you may also try to offer "smart card” to your loyal customers which is a recent trend followed by few of companies.

You can offer a free air trip to & fro (package tour) to a nearer hill station to one who has signed contract with you and helped you in your business.

Last edited by etechsupport; 08-20-2005 at 01:08 PM.
etechsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
thegauntlet

Today I sent out some gifts to my 5 best ad buyers on my site. I got a good deal on Ipod Shuffles and placed some little logo decals on them branding my site then shipped them off with a quick Thank You note expressing my appreciation. They should be getting them in a couple days. There are so many sites like mine out there and I do feel the pressure everyday, especially when I charge upwards of 10x what some of my competitors charge on a CPM basis. Anything I can do to make them think of me is well worth it.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 05:17 AM   #7
James

I really wish I'd gotten one of those Google radios

What did you use for putting decals on the iPods, gauntlet?
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
thegauntlet

I used a company several years ago to print up 5,000 stickers. They had a deal where they through in some small decals with clear backings for a couple dollars extra so I used those. They were circular in shape so I had to trim a small portion off but since they are clear it's barely noticeable. I'm sure they'll remove them as soon as they get them .
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 01:28 AM   #9
Intgrp

The other thing you can do is send a gift for them to giveto their children.

A regular pen set, mug, etc are often forgotten quickly but a cheap novelty item for a child will often have a greater emotional impact as they see the joy in the childs face - and it can still be inexpensive.

Just a different approach.
Intgrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:49 AM   #10
etechsupport

If you maintain the data of your customers about their Birthday, marriage anniversary etc, a greeting card can also influence your customer for developing good relationship.

Last edited by etechsupport; 11-18-2005 at 04:51 AM.
etechsupport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:45 AM   #11
Intgrp

Or you could do a Joe Girard and send them a postcard every day for the rest of their life....

.... worked for him.
Intgrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:12 AM   #12
matrics

Here's an idea: there are a bunch of those small gizmos that plug into USB ports. And they're quite cheap (some, at least) if bough in bulk. I can't think of a specific type right now - look around.

Anyway, the idea is, they'll probably stay on your customer's desk for a considerable time, and he'll see it (even involuntarily) every time he's on his computer, so if you brand them with your logo, that'll be a very strong reminder.

Think about it: works a lot better than greeting cards.
matrics is offline   Reply With Quote