Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Development - Programming / Coding
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #1
wizardpirate

Default Whats open that firefox ignores?

This is simple, but I can't find it and am sick of looking.

say you go to http://www.imagecrown.com/faq.php

In internet explorer it only shows as far down as the sidebar. In firefox it shows the full page even after the sidebar is finished. Obviously firefox is showing the view I want.

How can I get internet explorer to show the full page?

thanks
wizardpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 03:15 AM   #2
frank3

Default FireFox is doing it right.

I looked at your site in both FireFox and IE6 over the web. I can see the problem you describe, but it's not a problem with Firefox.

My first thought was that IE was not correctly rendering the css. I don't believe that is the case though. I think it is a problem with your server.

I copied your html to my desktop Apache server. Then copied your css file and deleted the stylesheet link rel and pasted the whole style sheet between style /style tags.

When I view the result in my browsers it looks just fine. The text goes all the way to the footer. In FireFox, Netscape and IE.

The only differences (Netscape and FireFox display it the same) is that the css causes a horizontal scroll in the Mozilla browsers and not in IE.

Note: I see you put a couple thousand break tags in there. We geeks will try anything to get it right. LOL.

One thing you might want to try. You don't have a doc type declaration on this page. You could go for a loose dtd and see if your server will get it right.

Another tip: Use Tidy to clean up your code. There are quite a few unclosed tags, etc. on that page.

Here are some links to a few of my favorite css information sites. One in particular has a free template that is 100% cross browser compliant.

The list:
cssvault
htmldog
cssplay
designdetector

Here is the one with the nifty template:
positioniseverything
Big John is one of my heros.

Last but not least:
meyerweb
Eric Meyer practicly wrote the book on css.

Sorry I couldn't give you a concrete answer to your question but perhaps some of the resources above will have what you need.

Frank
frank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #3
wizardpirate

"Note: I see you put a couple thousand break tags in there. We geeks will try anything to get it right. LOL."

LOL Yea, I was changing so much, I did end up leaving it with all those breaks. LOL kinda funny now that you mention it. Thanks for the info. I havn't messed with it since, I've been so busy working 16 hour days.

Thanks again I'll get it fixed tommorow I'm sure of it.
wizardpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
Notsoc

Default Whats open that firefox ignores? Font size?

I don't have the answer, but if I change the text size in IE to smallest, the whole page is visable. I have had problems with text overflowing frames and have been using oversized and/or scrollable text fields.
Can you lock the font size or stretch your text field?
Is your page length a fixed size?
Notsoc is offline   Reply With Quote