Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Business Principles > Traditional (Offline) Marketing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
thegauntlet

Default Ad Trades

Lately I have been contacted by companies wanting to do advertising trades with my website. The first was a magazine with a readership of near 120,000. They gave me a 1/4 page ad and they got 250,000 banner impressions over the course of a month on my site. I thought it was a great deal on my part, but was informed by a ad buyer from one of the ad companies i got cheated. She said of the 120,000 mags printed, statistics show only 40% of magazines are ever opened. So that takes me down to 48,000 readers for my 250,000 adviews. Then she said page placement in print mags is key as only 60% of readers make it beyond page 20. I'm on page 36 of 122. So now 29,000 people see it. Most people who see it won't even look at it, let alone remember it. She said to figure about 2,000 people will actually cometo my site from the ad.
The banner they are running on my site is averaging the 2.8% CTR. If it keeps that up, they get 7,000 people to their site.

Was it a fair trade? I am still happy with the trade, but how do you go about trades like this? I also have a radio station wanting to trade radio ads for banner ads. They said they'll have a jock do a 30 - 45 sec mention of my site since I have no radio ad. They are asking for 500,000 banners. I look at it as building a good base and reaching a new group of people I might not have reached via online ads, but still want to get as much as I can.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

Your final sentence really captured the value of a proposition such as this.

Being in the business, you, I and the rest of the Village are well aware as to the comparitive effectiveness and measurability of online advertising as compared to some forms of traditional media. At the same time, moving your brand into offline channels does grant you access to new and potentially valuable markets. Furthermore, your experience dealing with established magazines in an advertiser's capacity could be of great value to you if you do choose to pursue the concept of developing your own publication.

Of course, regardless of the attraction, you do have to ensure that you're receiving a fair deal in relation to these exchanges. You've mentioned some vital stats regarding the magazine with whom you are involved, but neglected to mention their current rate card. If you have a kit handy, could you please disclose what the magazine charges for a single casual 1/4 page spot?

The market value of your radio deal is also hard to approximate unless we are provided with details concerning the number of 30sec spots you are being offered, the times they are to run (run of day, bonus time, breakfast, drive time, etc), the station's audience size & basic demos and the rates the station charges casual advertisers for booking a similar package.

Without more detail, I can only support your statement; that being that incorporating offline into your marketing mix is a great idea even if pursued only for a trial period, as long as you are afforded adequate value.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #3
jokearound

have you phoned up and pretended to be interested in their rate card, demographics, etc etc, to see if you are getting a fair deal?
jokearound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
thegauntlet

If I look at it $ for $, they (magazine) get a better deal. They charge $400 for a 1/4 page. My rates for what they are getting is double. When I agreed, I looked at it from this perspective. It will cost me nothing as it's going to run as a filler campaign on my site. So I just loose .45 cpm that a ad network would have filled. If I look at it in that light, I get the better deal as it costs me $45.

As for the radio, I haven't seen a rate card yet. My spot doesn't play during the most favorable of times either. The metal show is on at midnight - 2am. They claim to have great neilson ratings, but it's not a national show and isn't syndicated, so the reach is limited to the area of the signal. For this, I will have to do a lot of negotiating. It just seems so cool to hear my site mentioned on the radio.
thegauntlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 12:40 AM   #5
n1a2n3r4

Regarding the radio trade, maybe this would be useful:

What about tracking the referrals in a traditional way.

Maybe have the radio refer to entering a special code onto a special page that you can track.

Or maybe set up a new domain and have the radio plug that.

Could you count the traffic through it and also have that traffic forwarded to your real site?

Over the subsequent months, if traffic through the new domain dwindles, you stop paying for it. You could also set up a message on it telling visitors that the real site is the other one and that the new domain will be closing down.
n1a2n3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote