Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
ShunT

Default Good CPM programs that support forums

I have a few large forums that serve approx. 15 million impressions/month and I'm looking for some CPM programs of $0.40+. If anyone knows any that support forums please let me know!

I've looked so hard for such but most places don't like forums. Someone help!
ShunT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
jokaroo

Your best bet is with Google Adsense. We are also seeing some limited success with Freezecoldcash on a CPA basis. Other then that, forums are pretty tough to monetize.
jokaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
ShunT

Yea I'm running adsense but they don't make much because it's a forum ... that's why I wanted CPM.
ShunT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Ted S

Quote:
Originally posted by ShunT
Yea I'm running adsense but they don't make much because it's a forum ... that's why I wanted CPM.
Depending on the niche of your forum and the placement of the ads you can make a good return with AdSense, far more than 0.40 CPM.

That aside you can try any of the major networks, most state that they don't allow forums but some will if the demographes is valuable and if the site has enough traffic. Ultimately if you can not deliver click, leads or other measurable results there is little reason for anyone to advertise with you directly or for a network to pay you more. Demanding a higher CPM means showing your value either as a branding or lead/sale generation tool, if you can do this you should be able to fetch a much better rate.
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:46 AM   #5
dRD

I'd recommend thinking "outside the box" when placing the AdSense ads to your forum pages -- top 728x90 doesn't exactly work that well. Analyze how you read forums normally -- if you return to a discussion thread, the most interesting posts to you are at the bottom. We added medium-sized box unit in between the last and the second last post on each thread page that has more than three messages and didn't remove the "branding part", the 728x90 from the top. Result was that eCPM of 728x90 didn't drop at all, but the whole page's eCPM almost doubled.
dRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:43 AM   #6
Robinn

We also have good experiences with Google Adsense on forums and also use a banner between the first and second post on a forum. The CPM rates are very much comparable with the "mainpage". Probably because there is a lot of content on the forum which is good for contextual ads. I would suggest experimenting a bit.
Robinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:20 PM   #7
Brad_Waller
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Also consider using the 728x15 "Link Unit" which will display 4 to 6 text ads. If you can insert this between posts or at the bottom of the posts, I think you may see some improvements. Experiment with all their formats and different placements to see what helps.

Do you think you could find advertisers and sell to them direct? You can make far more through CPM or more likely "sponsorship" ads than with a network.
http://AdJungle.com - Manage & sell your site's advertising - now with PPC text ads
Brad_Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #8
demae

Any idea how much CPM can be made in anime or computer game-related forums?

Given the generally low CPMs that I see in anime/games, I'm not very optimistic...
demae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
JFS

Quote:
Originally posted by demae
Any idea how much CPM can be made in anime or computer game-related forums?

Given the generally low CPMs that I see in anime/games, I'm not very optimistic...
i'm sorry demae but i most disagree...adsense is around $0.30 cpm in my anime site so i can't say that's bad in fact it beats mosts cpm's popups i experimented so far... also yesterday i register at claxon and i think that my cpm is not bad also.

i already had popups at my anime site for $0.05 cpm...after i tried adsense and i'm pretty satisfied.
drop me a line on my msn so we can talk a bit.
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote