Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2005, 07:18 AM   #91
1lit

Have tried it with Norton Internet Security 2004 Ad Blocking and it didn't work.

Anybody else tried it? Does it work?
1lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:16 PM   #92
studcent

I don't mind people using ad blocking software if it's just for pops. It's for all the regular banners that I feel like I have to fight back. I was just going to test this url but I see the person above me said that it didn't work. But my main question is: Can we set it up so that it only blocks people who are using ad block stuff for non pops? I mean, even IE has basic pop blockers built into their software so I certainly don't want to block people who just have that kind of stuff running.
studcent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #93
keavin

FYI. MTV now has a pop-up blocker dialog box that warns people to turn off their pop blockers to view their site. Here is the page where I saw it.
http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/system_o...l?_lpvid=43733

The big problem here is it shows to everyone, even those that don't have pop up blockers.
keavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:14 AM   #94
Czar

Webmaster

Interesting to see such a large publisher taking steps to address this issue. The dialog box approach is ironically more intrusive than the pops themselves, so MTV obviously feels that the benefits to be extracted from this outweight the risks associated with upsetting some visitors.

What's also interesting about this is that MTV justified the request by highlighting that they place valuable multimedia content within pops. This was one of the suggestions made early in this debate by a number of geeks in an effort to slow the broad adoption of pop blockers. Using this to undo the damage is an interesting cost:benefit tradeoff.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #95
JeremyUV

Default Another Blocker Solution

I use to watch this board at my old job, thought I would stop by. I noticed this thread and thought I would chime in. I did not have a chance to read every note in the thread, but I have a soluton to get around blockers as well (SP2, google tool bar, FireFox, Opera, Etc). It is not a layover ad and works without the need of a user clicking a link. Let me know if you would like to discuss more.

JeremyUV
JeremyUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:23 PM   #96
Czar

Webmaster

Welcome to Geek/Talk, Jeremy. It's great to have you here.

You'll be pleased to hear that a number of Geek/Talkers are aware of United Virtualities' showcase rich-media products; particularly the Shoshkeles takeover ads to which you're probably referring.

Please find following a couple of early references to this promising delivery technology from a Geek/Talk discussion posted way back in mid 2001:
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...&threadid=8867
http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...&threadid=9031

Are you generally seeing an uptick in interest since popup blockers started to go mainstream?

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #97
JeremyUV

Default hey there

Hi Czar, Thanks for having me! The method we are using is not related to our Rich Media line. While we are still in full force with our Rich Media, we have developed a different method for getting around blockers. With our method you can run your pops like normal. Unlike other methods you can continue serving your ads as you previously were (On entrance, exit, pop up/under, 1 per visit, two, etc). We also do not serve the ad. We give full reporting of pops that were gained due to our technology. I would be more then happy to shown you a demo. Let me know!

-Jeremy
JeremyUV is offline   Reply With Quote