Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2004, 04:50 PM   #31
mystro

Default ad sense

hi steve - good to see you back. hope all's well now.

and hmm....palos...reach for the waters if the tap's not working. maybe but whats been the strike rate ?? and how would one know which keywords to look for the advertisers ??

seems like a lot of work to me. might work well with local advertisers for regional/niche websites. but for heavier sites ...sweat sweat sweat.

and touche kathy... content breeds contentment.

but i also guess google needs to release some more information like visitor logs, click logs etc. etc. to the aggrieved publisher and give him atleast one chance to justify things.

or maybe just drop the earnings per click to a ludicrous low level for say a couple of months to see the effect. if there is something fishy, the activity will cease automatically and publisher will cry foul immediately(greed & economics u see). but if they are genuine clicks then the good guy might not even notice it and google can always compensate him later.

logical. but praticality ??? what do you think people?

ps : czar the new tsar, sorry abt the unwitting ad on the last post. hope my reworked signature's legit.

Last edited by mystro; 11-18-2004 at 04:57 PM.
mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:58 PM   #32
consent
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

I think the real issue here stems from Nintendo's concern. It's not just Google - any advertiser or network may terminate any account, large or small. 99% of the time it may be for valid reasons. (Sites may be knowingly/unknowingly incentivising, traffic quality may be poor, outright fraud may exist, etc. etc.)

But acknowledging that, the real question is vulnerability. Every shopkeeper in the world faces the challenge of vandalism - broken windows, theft, neighborhood pranks.

But a website is even more vulnerable. All it takes (among other possibilities) is a prankster with a mouse.

How to protect the honest site owner, who may become a victim of malicious intent?
consent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:39 PM   #33
Vrindavan

>> How to protect the honest site owner, who may become a victim of malicious intent?

Because i cannot do anything about Google may
mistakenly dropping probably honest and good websites,
without notice and all of a sudden.

i, as an affiliate, can only diversify to other alternative revenue sources,
do not rely only on Google Adsense.
Vrindavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 07:01 AM   #34
coolbuddy

Default demand supply mismatch

My guess is there is nothing wrong with the publishers,its just that google might be finding reasons to reduce its number of publishers.There can be a gap between demand and supply of ads at its end.
But note that this is just my guesswork and not based on some facts.
Because usually it happens that some weird reason is given to terminate accounts.
Didnt it happen to all of us in 2000???
coolbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 10:25 AM   #35
cheznoir
Member.

I don't think they are trying to cut publishers. They emailed me the other day asking me to add adsense to a site on my network.

Chet
cheznoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 02:58 PM   #36
Steve_S

Lightbulb

This thread has about 34 posts in it. Some of which deal with folks who were dropped/eliminated from the AdSence program and other folks who are still in the AdSence program.

Given these facts, please consider these thoughts to those of you who are worried about your current account which is still active.

1. Try and make friends with your competition. It won't always work and may result in a simple mutual respect and a working realtionships. Don't trash and or denegrate your competition. Thats just asking for trouble and inviting some of them to "abuse" your site to get you booted from AdSence. Yep, Iv'e seen plenty of this.

2. Treat your "guests" with respect and consider thinking in a proactive way by telling them NOT to click on the adverts unless they are actually interested. Yes, sometimes guests act like total idiots but that doesn't mean that you need to drop down to their level. Yep, Iv'e seen plenty of this.

3. Don't engage in email fights and or flame wars with either your guests or competition. Don't denigrate your guests. Don't fight with them. Just do your thing in a polite and business like fashion and move on.

I'm not inferring that these tips will fix the entire issue but they will certainly help. The other tips for current AdSence publishers are already posted, so no need for me to repeate those.

Good luck to all
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 06:56 PM   #37
batcavenet

Default Adsense

I haven't been dropped yet but since I am a free host I bet it's just a matter of time. I have not generated any fraud clicks however they mailed me today about making sure all my pages have content on them. One user had a small page with only a few words on it and they had me remove it however I have a lot of pages - I sure hope I can find some way to stay with them

JDT
batcavenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 12:26 AM   #38
keavin

I am curious if email havest programs are causing some of these problems. If the google ads appear to those programs then the programs will click the links. But not sure if any of these types of programs will render the google ads. That may explain questionable CTRs.
keavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 10:26 AM   #39
Nintendo

Or search engines crawling the sites, then clicking the text links in the ads on every file that generates a different ad. That could add up to a ton of clicks!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 10:42 AM   #40
keavin

Yeah, but they can filter out legit search engine crawls since they know what they are looking at. Most of these harvesting programs use fake user-agent settings and try to pass themselves off as a legit browser. So I could see this being a cause of this problem is these harvesting bots render the google ads and Google wouldn't be able to differentiate a harvest bot from someone trying to inflate their click-thrus. In fact, it would appear as the same type of behavior.

On a totally unrelated topic, and since Steve posted here. I was sad to learn that Steve let this site go. But I'm really happy it went to someone like Czar who will keep the same integrity and focus to it. Steve, I hope whatever the personal reasons were that caused you to sell the site have worked out or are in the process of being worked out. You did the web publisher community a tremendous service by creating this site and Czar is continuing that tradition. So just a quick thank you and good luck in the future.
keavin is offline   Reply With Quote