Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FOUNDATION: Web Hosting & Domains > Web Hosting Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2001, 03:12 PM   #1
Just_Plain_Onion

Unhappy Please help me find a good host, and fast!

Ok, before I get yelled at for not thinking ahead, let me mention I am a total newbie to running a popular site. I've been running little sites as a hobby for about 3 years, but nothing that got this big. Because of that, I never really paid attention to my bandwidth usage.

Stupid me.

I was about to sign up with WorldZonePro, but for their basic signup they only give you 4gigs. I just found out I use 10 gigs! I just got a job and am a fulltime student, so cash doesn't exist for me...

Anyways, if you could recommend a good host, I would be really happy http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

Your budget: $10-$20 a month
Storage required: at least 150 megs, but with the option to upgrade (cheaply. I liked how WZP's space upgrade was a one time fee, but if thats not available thats ok)
Bandwidth required: I currently use 10gig, and I can see how this can increase. Maybe around 20gigs or more to be safe.
Do you need Telnet access: No
Do you need mySQL: No
Do you need php: Not now, but it would be nice.
Do you need NT hosting: No
Do you need CGI/Perl: Yes, very much so.
Special requirements: I don't know if all hosts have this (Like I said, I don't know much about this), but I need ftp access, multiple pop3 accounts (Just for my admins), and of course SSI.

Something else I should note...my site uses UBB, and it's pretty popular. I don't know if thats of any importance or not, just thought I'd tell you.

I was shooting for a 5/1/01 relaunch of my site using my new domain, so I would like to keep get signed up around then. If not, thats fine I guess.

Thanks a lot for any help. I'm going to be looking around myself, but you guys know a lot more places then me, so I thought I'd ask you too http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

EDIT: I just found A+ Hosting, and their Basic II service looks good. Anybody use them, think their good/bad?

[This message has been edited by Just_Plain_Onion (edited 04-24-2001).]
Just_Plain_Onion is offline   Reply With Quote