Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #14
studcent

Default What Ad server do you use?

I've been wanting to ask this question in here for a long time. I get the impression that our situation is similar to a lot of other people in here where we are big enough to get a lot of traffic and be accepted by just about any network and get what some people might consider half decent revenues. But we're too small to either hire our own salespeople or even spend enough time to better analyze all that is going on with our various ad networks to maximize revenue.

Steve had a great post recently where he talked about using advertpro http://www.advertpro.com/. I am a total non-techie, but here's our situation. And I post it in this forum instead of a webmaster forum because it all comes down to figuring out how to maximize our ad revenues while keeping our costs under control.

We use phpadsnew, which I understand is what a lot of people similar to us use. But my tech guy says that the way phpadsnew is configured means that it totally hammers our database server. Apparently, for each pageview we have, it puts in 2-4 inquiries to the database server when a better ad serving platform would only require 1 inquiry. So as we get bigger, we will either have to spend a helluva lot of money for a new powerful database server or use a new ad script. My tech guy wants to write a customized ad script for our site, but that seems like madness. There must be something already out there which addresses this problem. Does advertpro serve ads efficiently where you only need a single ad inquiry per pageview? Or does anything else? For us to spend $525 or whatever it is for advertpro would certainly be a lot smarter and cheaper than having somebody write an entire new ad serving program. What we're looking to do in terms of serving different types and sizes of ads from different advertisers and ad networks is identical to most of the people in this forum. So what do you guys do? Do you have problems similar to ours where your database server gets hammered because of inefficient ad serving technology? Thanks for any input.