Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:03 PM   #91
Lil_Red

Admin snipped and archived. Personell attacks are not permitted. Please consult our Rules and Posting Guide for guidence.

Please don't hesitate to contact me via our BB Feedback Form and only this form if you have additional questions, comments, or you would like me to suspend your posting privileges.

Thank you in advance for your anticpated cooperation.

Last edited by Steve_S; 09-14-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:27 PM   #92
lwrules

Default 3rd time

That is the third time you disrespected Steve's clear warning to keep this from getting personal. If you don't agree with the way I discuss this issue, feel free to not participate, but if these PERSONAL attacks continue, you will lose the opportunity to hear the only person WILLING to come forward and discuss the other side of the issue.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:36 PM   #93
Leviathan

Quote:
Originally posted by maddeningcrowds
This is not a public forum, its a private forum
I don't believe so. While posting does require an account, viewing is open to the public.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:41 PM   #94
Leviathan

Default Re: Re: telemarketing

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil_Red
There's a difference between ads and hijacking people. You think it's perfectly acceptable to mess up people's computers and expose their children to questionable content.

Last time I checked, the tv station does not hijack my TIVO, the radio station does not hijack my car stereo, a legitimate popup ad does not hijack my computer. If they did, I would never watch that tv station, listen to that radion station or visit that website ever again.

Face it, you are not going to convince any honest publisher here that what you do is ethical or should be commended.
I think TiVO actually had something where they were going to pre-set a recording time or something to catch some sort of TV-show or advertisement... I'm not sure what it was. I believe it all went over really badly, and they decided not to continue with it.

In short, they had the ability to make your TiVO record something that you didn't personally set. I think it was only the UK division though, so it didn't affect us folks in theUSA.

In the end, the customers voiced their concerns, and the company thought twice about doing something that they may actually have had the legal ability to do, just because it would have made their customers look elsewhere. (lesson to be learned here *wink* *nudge*)
Old 09-14-2003, 11:27 PM   #95
lwrules

Default tivo

For the 3 months ended 4/30/03, Tivo's net loss was $7.9M.

Maybe they made the wrong decision.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:36 AM   #96
Lil_Red

Default Re: Re: Re: telemarketing

Quote:
Originally posted by Leviathan
In short, they had the ability to make your TiVO record something that you didn't personally set. I think it was only the UK division though, so it didn't affect us folks in theUSA.
My TIVO is actually a PC rather than a true TIVO so it operates a little differently than the actual TIVO.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:21 AM   #97
Czar

Webmaster

<cliche warning> Money isn't everything. </cliche>

Judging all business decisions based solely or primarily on short-term returns not only risks unethical practice, but is ultimately unsustainable. There's a lot to be said even within an ultra-capitalist framework for mutual respect, and infringing on the ability of one's customers to choose or suggesting that bending the law is fine (or even innovative) as long as it provides profitable returns does not suggest a workable business model.

I have no doubt that buying popunder inventory from an affordable network with good reach, and using that purchase to generate incidental repeat traffic and/or second-pop revenues through controversial methods will produce positive returns. That's a no-brainer. Generating long-term returns by actually providing products or services that people would want to explore voluntarily is not only a greater challenge, but positions a buyer for longer-term growth and greater brand affinity, IMHO.

But I guess that's all a matter of perspective...

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Old 09-15-2003, 07:58 AM   #98
maddeningcrowds

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert from SI
This is a brokered ad. We've contacted the advertiser and the broker.
Doesn't this say quite a lot about good business?

Whatever the financial profits, It must be a stressful life.

Call me old fashioned if I say, in the immortal words of Gal6.7, "You reap what you sow."
Old 09-15-2003, 12:58 PM   #99
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thanks for the report Dr. Sashman

This is Monday in the USA. Is the advert still running and changing the Home Page setting in the visitors browser?

Is their a way for an affiliate to opt-out of this Campaign while still remaining in the program and running the rest of the Campaigns?

Sanford,

Respectfully, what would motivate you to terminate the advert/campaign which started this thread?

If you decide to answer my question which is certainly your right, perhaps you could include a list of reasons with their respective rankings.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:25 PM   #100
Sashman

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_S
This is Monday in the USA. Is the advert still running and changing the Home Page setting in the visitors browser?
SI was running them this morning, however they now appear to have stopped them.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:58 PM   #101
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Sanford, ET, and others. I'm going to lock this thread and exstract Sanford's new business plan and posts which pertain to this issue into a new thread.

Why?

It's a new topic
This thread is already a huge huge administrative issue with 15 minite refreshes.
Threads have a finite life and then they need to be either closed or spun off.

Before I do this, I wan't to compliment Sanford and most of our other members including SI. Your restraint, thoughtfull comments, spirated debate, and civil and respectfull dialog was outastanding.

It's also apparent to me and the Team that a few of you are not used to this kind of dialog on issues which you find contrary to your own views and that are so very very contraversal. You have had a rare and unique opportunity to discuss this issue with "the other side" in great detail and volume. Don't believe me, go look elsewhere. Personell attacks will not be tolerated from the small number of you so please don't resort to these actions to enhance your case since they never do and always "paint" both you and your sites/Company in an unfavorible light.

As always, if you don't like the way we have moderated one of the most challenging threads in our 5 year history, send me your thooughts via our BB Feedback Form and only this form.

Edit: The split/new topic is located at:

http://www.geekvillage.com/forums/sh...threadid=22227

Thank you

Last edited by Steve_S; 09-15-2003 at 05:11 PM.
Closed Thread