Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2000, 04:20 PM   #1
rexpco

Unhappy Real time estimates on website

I'm looking for a way to place a real time scheduling and estimating software on my site. We service pest control and would like our potential customers ans current customers to be able to schedule their work online. If you'd like to see a such example of what I'd like look at www.middletonpest.com I thank you in advance for your assistance

REX WILKINS
rexpco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2000, 07:19 PM   #2
DJ_B

Unhappy

I would be very interested in software like this too. I am guessing it ain't going to come cheap though http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif
DJ_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2000, 12:25 AM   #3
Ted S

Unhappy

rexpco (and DJ_B) - I assume you have some sort of mathematical calculation for your rates (x dollars for y feet; z dollars for w problem; a for b, etc...). If you do indeed have these formulas and have a programmable way of making estimates I should be able to code the proper application for your needs. Like DJ-B said, this is not a free program but depending on just how complex a system you have, I'm sure we could work out some deal that is reasonable on both ends.

If however you are trying to do this yourself, you will need to pick a language such as perl or php or c (javascript may do but would not be very effective) and probably a database backend for tracking. You will then need to build the necessary forms, program in mathematical tests and produce an output based on the user's input. If you already have such an application started and have more specific questions, please post them!

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
Extreme Factor Scuba & Extreme Sporting
Image Harbor Free Image Galleries
Ted S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2000, 04:56 AM   #4
rexpco

Unhappy

Ted, I really appreciate your response, I don't think it is as complicated mathmatical for I've examined the other website and it seems to be setup like this:

If the house is 0 to 2500 square feet= $388.80

2501 to 3000 = 416.70
3001 to 3500 = 447.30
3501 to 4000 = 480.60

it seems that you can put any number of square ft in the blank and it gives you the closest price within the variables.

the scheduler seems to be an automailer of some sort where the customer picks date and time and the office is alerted via e-mail...they only promise to be there at that time. It doesn't actually enter the time in middleton's computer or anything.

What is your viewpoint on this? The type of insects only give the pest guys general idea of what the customer observed not raise price at all.

Thanks for any help... And if you can create this or have links to such I'd appreciate it. Please E-mail me price.. I am small company, but I'd like to place this online.

REXPCO

Old 12-22-2000, 02:37 PM   #5
rexpco

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Sindzinski:
REXPCO-
It sounds like your pricing factor is very simple and the other factors, such as bug types, just need to be emailed to your office. So in short, the user selects a price X to Y, enters a few other details and an email is sent?

If that's the case then you don't really need much of anything more than a nice multiple form processor. You can hack a few scripts together and make your own or pay me, say $75?

Let me know if you need help or what...

Old 12-22-2000, 02:45 PM   #6
rexpco

Thumbs up

Your offer sounds like just what I am looking for...

I will have to put it off til about the end of January but $75 sounds good to me.

Just two more questions:

Have you looked at what www.middletonpest.com has ?

As far as payment and preview of what you created for me... I will send you a cashiers check, and I see you have a website is it possible for you to place this form temporary on your site for me to preview?

Create this item and I'll inform many of my pest, pool and home services of what the benefits are and send them your e-mail address so you can sell them a copy... I feel this is a much needed website item for the service industry.

Thanks, REXPCO
Old 12-22-2000, 11:25 PM   #7
Ted S

Unhappy

REXPCO-
It sounds like your pricing factor is very simple and the other factors, such as bug types, just need to be emailed to your office. So in short, the user selects a price X to Y, enters a few other details and an email is sent?

If that's the case then you don't really need much of anything more than a nice multiple form processor. You can hack a few scripts together and make your own or pay me, say $75?

Let me know if you need help or what...

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
Extreme Factor Scuba & Extreme Sporting
Image Harbor Free Image Galleries
Old 12-30-2000, 02:43 PM   #8
Ted S

Unhappy

Please drop me a line (admin@extremefactor.com) wheneve ryou are ready to proceed...