Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2003, 04:59 PM   #76
jkcity

There has been an update to this story

"February 2003 Update

Bonzi Software - Attorneys representing Bonzi Software filed an appearance on January 23, 2003. Legal representation of the defendant paves the way for moving this matter forward.

The Court - The Trial Court scheduled a case status conference for February 28, 2003. The purpose of the status conference is to schedule important deadlines in the prosecution of a case. "

For anyone who is intrested.
jkcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 11:33 PM   #77
JFS

thanks for the update
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 03:14 PM   #78
Elemental Thought

Default Bonzi class-action suit reaches settlement

Looks like the Bonzi class action suit has been settled, according to this Toronto Star article.

The article isn't specific about monetary damages, but it seems to indicate that no money was awarded. There was a lot of posting done on this topic when the lawsuit was first filed (that thread is here), and it seemed like the money was an issue to a lot of people who felt that it was only filed so the lawyers could make money. So maybe this is a happy ending?

I'm glad Bonzi lost, however. That whole "Your computer is broadcasting an IP address and is open to attack!!" banner is horribly misleading, and has caused a ridiculous amount of tech support concerns. Maybe now other companies will take notice and re-think their fraudulent/misleading campaigns.
Elemental Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 04:09 PM   #79
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Thanks for the post.

Dito

I never thought the "class" would go anywhere but this little "win" is encouraging.

Additional details in this home town article:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/san...al/5959193.htm

Fair use exstraction from above:

The defendent says:

"Rizzo said Bonzi does not believe its advertising tactics were illegal or deceptive but only settled to stem its legal costs. He likened Bonzi's ads to advertisements in newspapers that are designed to look like news articles."

Nice try but respectfully you need to look at this again. They ALL contain "Advertisment" in the top line so the reader does not confuse them with real content. The same can be said for "info-mercials" which always contain a crystal clear declaration before they start.

Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 04:41 PM   #80
Elemental Thought

Steve, that is very true. I've always respected web sites that had the gumption to place some text near their advertisements that inform the user that it is an ad. Dictionary.com has always done that with their "Sponsored link" ads that appear in the dotted-border box near the bottom right.

I like this approach for a couple of reasons. First, it disassociates the web site from the advertisement, so if the ad isn't completely on topic, then the surfer doesn't become confused as to why a gaming site might be selling men's magazine subscriptions. And second, it means that anyone who follows the ad through is truly interested in it. This puts more of the onus on the advertiser to come up with interesting ads and good bargains, which is how other traditional media ads work. Of course, it has disadvantages too, like training your users not to look at that spot on your site.

I'd like to see the day when the "internet beer ad" is an art form, just like tv beer ads now. Absolut has started pioneering that field with their flash ads. They are catchy and fun (a lot of them show up at The Onion), and continue the Absolut advertising tradition.
Elemental Thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:02 PM   #81
jkcity

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969048863851

The case has been settled out of court, bonzi have agreed to some stuff that they said they will no longer do, I wonder if this will stop other deceptive advertising, I doubt it.
jkcity is offline   Reply With Quote