Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2002, 09:57 PM   #91
havaloc

How so? Where are you seeing this law?

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggum

Altering a site (by changing code or otherwise) is a copyright violation. Adding anti popup-blocking software or blocking users that are using them will not work as these programs proliferate. The only solution is to attack the source.
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:36 PM   #92
joetec

Exclamation

from what I understand it would be the same as vandilism

i mean if you go up to a store and but a big black chunk of plactic over their sign do you think they would just adjust?

or if you got to the newspaper printing press and dumb a bunch of ink over the pages with ads for dillards and such do you think the newspaper would adjust?

just my $.033333333333333333 cents
joetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:51 PM   #93
havaloc

Depends really.

Is the person breaking into the server (printing press in your example) and sabotaging it?

No. They are placing duct tape over the ads of the magazine/newspaper in their own home.

The problem with these kind of analogies is that they never work out.

Your vandalism analogy doesn't work here either, because its more like I'm taking a snapshot of the billboard in question and then altering it on my own machine.

Once the data hits the end users computer, all bets are off.

Does it ****? Yes. Is there anything that you can do about it? Not much.

Quote:
Originally posted by joetec
from what I understand it would be the same as vandilism
havaloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 11:14 PM   #94
joetec

how bout a cable unscrabler?
arnt they illegal... they pretty much work in the same way as adkillers when you get down to it

the user would be getting things illegally, by changing something in their own home

ad killers/pop up blockers make it so the user is stealing your content...... web pages pay their expenses by ads, a store pays its expenses by selling things..... if you dont want to pay for it you cant just take it (unless you face the consiquences), so you would be stealing it

if enough webmasters start using anti ad killers then the users will finally relize that they are stealing and cant to much

i mean if a grocery store has been robed 5 times by the same person do you think they are going to just let that person go in and shop.... I see this as the same thing with a user using adkillers
joetec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2002, 10:02 AM   #95
OC

Quote:
Originally posted by joetec
how bout a cable unscrabler?
Sorry, try again.

OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 01:07 AM   #96
NiteTrader

Quote:
Originally posted by Mehere
Main reason banner clickthrough rates are down is ad networks are to agressive with pops on entry and exit.
Surfer no longer clicks as he is frightened of pop up hell and frozen browsers.
some of the below from another forum made interesting reading
Here's some of the features that these programs include:

Blocks banner ads
Blocks pop-ups
Blocks animated Flash ads
Filters cookies
Blocks pop-unders
Blocks background music
Block 'referrer' strings
Single Click Cookie Cleanup
Customize the ad database
Clear browsing history

Source:
http://www.adsubtract.com/pro/features.html

So, not only can they block the ads - they can also stop you making money from ads. Basically, if the surfer is using one of these bits of software, you're in big trouble. There's not THAT much that you can do.
"Filters cookies"? So these render CJ links inoperable? Does Earthlink's program nullify CJ's links as well?
NiteTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 03:02 PM   #97
maddeningcrowds

I've been thinking for a while that affiliate programs should come up with some original ways of tracking clicks / sales / commissions.

It wouldn't take a huge effort to attach domain names to an affiliate count, and when a visitor arrives, strip the referrer string to the domain, look for an associated account name in an SQL table, and set a session variable - thus avoiding the need for query strings?id=XXXX or cookies. An ad blocker would find it impossible to distinguish between a normal link and..... a normal link.

Is that a workable solution do you think? How reliable are referrer strings? I checked my stats and only 10% of my visitors come without a referrer, I presume they are bookmarks, emails or type-ins.
maddeningcrowds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:21 PM   #98
washjob

Default Ad Blockers

If the Ad Blockers become a serious problem and impact their ad revenues then the big boys (Yahoo, CNN, MSNBC, etc) will likely install detection software and block users from accessing their sites. I don't think too many web surfers would be willing to give up access to these sites.

I would like to see some of the Ad Networks or ISP's develop Ad Blocker detection software that can be part of their service. I don't have my own servers (use Verio) and would seriously consdier moving my site to an ISP that offered the service as part of their hosting fee. The Ad Networks would also benefit by offering the service to affiliates. They wouldn't waist bandwidth by sending ads that would be blocked.

Jerry @ Washington Employment Web
www.washjob.com
washjob is offline   Reply With Quote