Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR REVENUE: Making Money On The Internet > Making Money with CPC and/or CPM Programs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2001, 09:13 PM   #1
mp3next
Member.

Post i think people have lost the idea about advertising...

when you walk down the street and see a coke ad, do you automaticly go out and buy a coke because you love coke so much you just have to, probably not. When it comes to advertising even in the web it's supposed to stick in your head, so if you see a banner for ccsmailorder.com (which is a online skateboard, snowboard shop) maybe 3-6 months later when you are going to buy something online you might think hey, i remember ccsmailorder if the banner was convincing and you saw it enough for a certain time period. This happened to me like a year ago, i just kinda remembered now looking through my closet at my skate clothes from last year... advertising is meant to stick in your mind, the web gives advertisers a bonus because they can go directly to a site just by clicking the banner ad...

But is a banner ad on say yahoo.com more successful then a bulliton board downtown? People can't click on the bulliton board, and i doubt most people surf the net while driving... so why is tv advertising still at a high and web advertising lower then it's ever been???

mp3next is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 09:42 PM   #2
JakeJeck

Unhappy

Think about each situation.

A. You are driving in your car jamming out to your radio. You see a billboard. You read the billboard. Why? Because there is nothing else to do at that time. I do it, you do it, everyone does it.

B. You are surfing the web at your favorite site. You see a banner and skip down. Why? Because you are there looking for content, not looking for banners to click on. All they do is interefere with your goal(which was to read something).

C. You are watching TV. The program pauses and there is a commercial. Most people watch them. Why? Often times, the major networks have commercials about what's coming up on their own network. This makes people think, oh I need to remember to watch that show on Tuesday. Other commercials are impulse commercials such as Wendy's or Pizza Hut commercials you see so many of between 5pm - 8pm. Makes you say, that looks good, I'm gonna go get something to eat(not necessarily at Wendy's or Pizza Hut though). Other commercials are funny and keep you watching to see what happens next.

Banner ads are boring. They're too static to be very effective. They're boring. People learn to tune them out. They only appeal to one of the human senses(visual). They can't affect our emotions like a 30 second TV ad can. They're boring.

I couldn't tell you what the banner said on the last page I visited, but I can tell you the last billboard I saw. It was for a local bank and was promoting their website and online banking...and that was 2 days ago that I saw it. I can also tell you the last commercial I saw which was about 2 hours ago. We watched a VH1 special on Jimi Hendrix. At the end of it they showed him playing Voodoo Child in concert. A perfect lead in for the next commercial. I think it's for Nissan Pathfinder. It has Stevie Ray Vaughn playing a cover of Voodoo Child. Now that is clever marketing.

I think overall other forms of media advertising appeal to your senses and emotions more than banner ads do.

I'm no expert, but the above is pretty obvious if you take a moment to think about it.
JakeJeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 09:56 PM   #3
mp3next
Member.

Unhappy

then what your saying is banner ads are useless... pretty much right?
Old 05-28-2001, 09:58 PM   #4
JakeJeck

Unhappy

I think that the huge rate plummet from this time a year ago has proven that.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:08 PM   #5
parplex

Unhappy

I think people just had way to much VC money. I really think that you are right on the part about not buying something rightaway, thats how I am also, I might go back when I need it. But there was a lot(too much) of poorly placed ads. I remember hearing, but I forgot what Dot Com had lost it, then sold to some other company. Like with 1/5 the money that the first company spent on advertising, this company got 500 percent better reaction. The money was just poorly spent.
parplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 10:08 PM   #6
JakeJeck

Unhappy

There was a post I brought back up a while ago. It was entitled Success - $30 CPM. This was a message from a year ago. The reactions in the thread aren't what you'd expect at all. They ranged from "not bad... to... way to go".

One year later there's alot of people struggling to get $.30 CPM for banners.

Ok, now think about what I said about WHY people skip over your ads. Because they are there for your content. Now wouldn't subtly slipping in a message and text link about a product related to your content give you

A: more "space" to pitch the product than a 468x60 banner
B: more eyeballs seeing that pitch because it can be considered part of your content.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:19 PM   #7
mp3next
Member.

Thumbs up

theres gotta be a better way to maker money then just cpc and cpa b/c if that's all there is my site will die off very shortly... i hope someone thinks of something soon because the web is dying literally, next year if this keeps up there won't be a altavista, or lycos probably because they are recording bad losses... http://geekvillage.com/ubb/frown.gif
Old 05-28-2001, 10:21 PM   #8
pearce6
Member.

Unhappy

How about then a walking talking 5 second advert on the enrtry page of your site - befire they can enter
pearce6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2001, 11:54 PM   #9
mp3next
Member.

Unhappy

that's a good idea... but it should be more like 12-15 seconds to get the full experence... i think... i wish more sponsors were dynamic and new and would try new things... not just the same ol' 468x60 banner...
Old 05-29-2001, 12:27 AM   #10
Toonhunt

Question

Why dont we do that, I mean why dont publishers design interactive eye catching ads, I know it shouldnt be our job but if it returns results why not?
A tower ad I think they are called interactively done in flash could bring some good results surely. Am I missing something? or has anyone tried this already? I am sure the advertisers would be happy if it is bringing them results.

Just an idea

------------------
Toonhunt.com - Cartoon related sites of the web
cartmans-southpark.co.uk - Animated Southpark site
Toonhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 05:58 AM   #11
b2gdotcom

Unhappy

Actually, call me stupid or whatever, but I emailed Pepsi trying to tell them they should do banner advertising. I agree with ToonHunt. If you see a funny, enjoyable banner, it will stick in your mind. Once everyone starts using fast connections, download times should not be a problem. They can have people work on banners in a similar fashion to commercials. Why can't a banner have audio & visual ? Why can't a banner be funny ? I think if the banners themselves have some life to them, people will be "compeled" to click on them. I know if I saw a cool *** banner I'd remember it for a long time because the banners out there now are so poorly designed. A bright flashing banner that says "Winner !" on it just makes me get a headache.

In case you are wondering, this is the reply from pepsi:

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail us here at Pepsi-Cola Company regarding your advertising idea. Its always a pleasure to hear from a true fan of our products.

Although we are sincerely complimented that you thought to offer us your concept, Pepsi can neither accept nor consider commercial ideas from outside the company. Our company receives many advertising and marketing suggestions from the public. However, these ideas often mirror, or closely resemble, ones we are working on or that we have used before. In the past, this has led to confusion as to the ownership of these ideas. Therefore, we have had to adopt a strict policy of not accepting any commercial or marketing concepts from outside the company. Nevertheless, I do want you to know that we were sincerely flattered that you offered to share your thoughts with us.

Again, thank you for thinking of us and we wish you the best of luck with all your endeavors.

b2gdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 06:31 AM   #12
cyburrr
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by JakeJeck:

A. You are driving in your car jamming out to your radio. You see a billboard. You read the billboard. Why? Because there is nothing else to do at that time. I do it, you do it, everyone does it.
Counterpoint; Half the billboards are on the highway, and at 110kms an hour, everyone should be thankful that I'm not gonna pay attention to the billboard http://geekvillage.com/ubb/wink.gif
Quote:
B. You are surfing the web at your favorite site. You see a banner and skip down. Why? Because you are there looking for content, not looking for banners to click on. All they do is interefere with your goal(which was to read something).
Counterpoint: If one has loyal 'readers' who spend between 2-5 minutes reading the same page daily, sure they are there for the content - but surely they must subconsciously note the ad. A lot of advertising is subliminal.
Quote:
Banner ads are boring. They're too static to be very effective. They're boring. People learn to tune them out. They only appeal to one of the human senses(visual). They can't affect our emotions like a 30 second TV ad can. They're boring.
True; but most forms of advertising can be blocked out. ie...I've watched 90% of the Stanley Cup games...but couldn't tell you who's paying to advertise on the boards.

...just a different point of view http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif

cyburrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 06:34 AM   #13
Czar

Webmaster

Unhappy

b2gdotcom, you'll be pleased to know that Pepsi has made large investments in online advertising already, and have used banners, contests and mini-sites for branding purposes. Coke also started testing the waters online this year, with the online component of its "Life Tastes Good" campaign the company's largest contribution to the dotcom coffers yet.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the traditional marketers have started to realise that the web (and the much-criticized banner format) can be used effectively for branding purposes. If they're prepared to increase their investments during a tight economic period, signs are good that we'll see solid growth from the big brands once the economy starts to recover.

------------------
Czar
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 08:06 AM   #14
jokaroo

Wink

Someone above mentioned audio...

Imagine the success of an audio advertisement in the background of your site. Sure people can turn off their speakers, but can't they turn off their TV or radio as well. Ofcourse they can. I have used audio advertisements on my site, and you would never believe the success, you never would. I promised myself that I wouldn't go on geekvillage to reveal the success I have had with promoting some CJ programs using the audio idea, but here I am revealing... I am telling you now, it works, from experience. Just make sure to use speech audio suppose to sounds. Have the audio talking to your visitors, selling a product, or doing something else...

------------------
Best Regards,
C. Pavlovski - Co-Owner
Site: http://www.jokaroo.com
Email: cpavlovski@jokaroo.com

[This message has been edited by jokaroo (edited 05-29-2001).]
jokaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2001, 11:32 PM   #15
Roberto

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by JakeJeck:

But then what about magazines and newspapers, which might cost you a fair whack to advertise in. I'm still searching for those differences that can seem to justify the huge gulf in advertising costs between offline mags and online mags...With mags I'm sure as hell not reading them for their ads either...in fact I probably notice more adverts on websites - many probably subconciously due to their animated nature - than those in mags/newspapers.

Roberto is offline   Reply With Quote