Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-1999, 03:46 PM   #1
KHN
Member.

Default Font Size

I'm just wondering what font size does everybody usually use while they're surfing?
Smallest, Smaller, Medium, Large, or Larger?

I have seen many sites that were created for Smaller and look very mess up in Medium. I personally use medium but what do you use?

------------------
KHN
Do you love Freebies?
Click Here Now!
www.thefreeguide.com

KHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-1999, 04:10 PM   #2
John Slade

I surf using Medium font size - I assume most people do as I think it is the default setting.

------------------
Everything for Microprose F1GP
Visit:
http://www.grandprix1.com
John Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-1999, 06:03 PM   #3
WildComputer

I use the default medium

I don't know a way to check this for visitors to your site. (if anybody knows how, please say!)

Also a good thing to track is visitor's monitor size. I found my main site gets a lot of visitors with 1024 or 1280 screen size, presumably because many are techies.

------------------
Add your site - to the top 100 - affiliate programs, free stuff, shareware, cars, games, sports....
www.hits4me.com/custom/

WildComputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-1999, 11:31 PM   #4
Arn

The problem with font sizes is that Mac users browser fonts look smaller on their screens then PC users. I don't know the reasoning behind it - but it's true.

arn

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-1999, 02:46 AM   #5
Questy

Video Tidbits:
Windows computers display 96 dots per inch (dpi). Macintosh computers display 72 dpi.

RE: The problem with font sizes is that Mac users browser fonts look smaller on their screens then PC users.

Assuming what resolution???

800x600 pixels is about the most common screen setting right now, with 1024x768 the second most popular. So how big is a pixel? It's all relative. The bigger the monitor size, the larger the pixel. The "better" the resolution, as in 1024x768 is better that 800x600, the smaller the pixel.

This all gets back to one of my favorite sermons, browser friendliness. I guess you would need to define your terms relative to HTML, as in Medium= default, small= -1, very small= -2, large= +1, etc.

This being the case, there are a few sites using very small print, but in most cases it's not the average text size. Most websites are using some where near the "default" setting for text, with a +1 for headings.

FWIW...

------------------
Regards,
...Questy

Forum Moderator, full time computerguy, part time philosopher..
www.questy.com ... www.computerguru.net ... www.eden.nu

Questy is offline   Reply With Quote