Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR CREATION: Building & Maintaining A Web Site > Web Design and Webmaster Issues
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2005, 01:46 AM   #1
coolbuddy

Default Log files

How often u delete your log files on your server(dedicated)?
I delete it daily amd my site shuts down for one minute during the process.What is the way out?
Is it really matters if C drive remains full for a long time as E drive is mostly empty all the time?
coolbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 AM   #2
georgec

My logs are rotated daily as well, which is better than weekly, for example, from a resource usage standpoint, since the file is much smaller. My server load does shoot up while it's rotating the log, though not quite enough to cause the server to buckle. Not sure what a solution would be besides upgrading your server hardware, though 1 minute really isn't a big deal
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:29 AM   #3
coolbuddy

1 minute down means u loose 100 users as they might leave the site and and never come again.
I m planning to change the settings and create log files in E drive which has 20 gb free space.
is that OK?

Last edited by coolbuddy; 10-03-2005 at 06:30 AM.
coolbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
georgec

Hmmm other people may be able to answer that better, but the issue is the server CPU and memory being used up when it's performing the log rotation task, not a hard drive space issue. The only exception is if your c: drive is 100% full, causing Apache to basically go into panic mode as it tries to write to disk. This doesn't sound like the case for you, or your server wouldn't just be down for 1 minute.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
Steve_S
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

Lightbulb

The best solution is:

1. Two physical devices and that means hard drive 1 and hard drive 2. Hard drive 2 holds the log files and any DB and or site backups you generate. I can't find my notes but on an Apache box we had to change some config files to make it work since the default was drive 1.

2. Next look at your stats program and figure out the time of day when the fewest number of users are on your box. Then use this data to schedule your crontab to run at this time. ALL sites have slower times and bussier times.

3. Every stat program I have ever seen drives the load up as it crunches the numbers and writes to disk. Like uncle G said, this may also be related to a lack of memory on the box or it could even be a bunch of different crontabs running at the same time.

HTH

Last edited by Steve_S; 10-03-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Steve_S is offline   Reply With Quote