Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR FRIENDS: The geek/talk Community > Archives of the best threads
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2002, 05:14 AM   #1
GuruChoc

Question Where have all the geek-talkers gone ??

Posted a message 2 days ago and it is still in the first 20 messages for this group, not so long ago it would of been eaten up in no time, where have all the old posters gone, there seems to be little action these days, has everyone just given up on making money and gone and hid in a corner ??
Old 02-18-2002, 05:23 AM   #2
Edwin

Well, I certainly look in here every day or so... and post fairly often, as you may have noticed.

One thing that has really disturbed me recently is the trend by many people (NOT everyone!) to promote money-making activities over the rule of law i.e. if something makes money it's ok (even if the activity requires breaking copyright, trademark or other laws to carry out).

This has definitely been an increasing trend and I don't know whether it's due to the ever-declining ad market (and hence a sense of desperation setting in) or whether it's a widening of the webmaster base to include many more people with what to me are questionable ethics.

I believe the trend I've outlined above is at least partly behind why many "regulars" may no longer be posting as much - they're tired of people running sites based on copyright infringement (for example) asking how they can make more money - frankly, they shouldn't be making ANY money! It tires me out too... especially when I see 10 people wading into a thread and all restating the same legally incorrect perspective.

I think also the general doom and gloom ad market is a large factor - when times were good, it made sense to exchange tips on how to maximize one's paycheck... but with things so grim, many webmasters can't be bothered to optimize between $0.20 and $0.22 CPM since the difference is a few dollars a month - not to mention that those who are still doing "OK" are likely to be more leery about revealing their methods and tactics.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:00 AM   #3
Jan

Administrator

There are not so many "have you received a cheque from xyz.com" posts, so maybe people are finally figuring out the goodies from the baddies?

I still see roughly the same amount of members and guests online at any given time and the threads are certainly being read.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:06 AM   #4
singloon

GeekGuide

actually i'm missing in action more these days here because i'm actually making more money and have less time hehe

unfortunately/fortunately this is money from non-banner advertising ventures i.e. hosting biz, contract server/php/mysql work etc...

but i'm still around and don't plan on leaving hehe

Old 02-18-2002, 06:11 AM   #5
rolli
Member.

Arrow

I am on the web since about 7 years as an entrepreneur. When I started to make money on the web there was noone whome I could ask how to succeed but we had a huge solidarity on the web. Noone wanted to cheat the other and the most resources were free. With the years this changed. Cheaters and parasites are everywhere, most things are combined with a fee or must be paid or both. I can imagine that someone who must spend a lot of time and money for making some $$ never would give his business principles to the others. So do I because I experienced a lot of stealing and capturing with my sites. Since it became so difficult to appear in search rankings without using a paid service everybody who gives away his secrets is stupid or he is a cheater saying not the truth in his postings.
Jonny
Old 02-18-2002, 08:37 AM   #6
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

GuruChoc,

Keep in mind that it is a holiday weekend in the USA and lots of people take off or are away. Many USA schools were closed on Friday as well which makes it a 4 day weekend.

It's ironic that you should start a thread with this topic as just last night I told someone that all of the advertising/making money forums have withered away, but GV gets busier and busier.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:38 AM   #7
Duchz

I'd say that the basic principles of success on the internet are well-known.

Create a site -> Get Traffic -> Earn money with sales/advertisments

There are tons of ressources out there how you could make your site profitable, so it is nothing unachievable. There are a few tricks, not everybody knows - but that is the way it should be. I agree with those who'll say "let's share because we need to fight against the big boys out there" but I would say that "we" involves a lot of dishonest people.

Sorry about this negative comment, but in my current life situation I am realizing that there are far too many bad persons living on this planet trying to exploit the honest population. And it will get even worse when I go to the Army in 6 weeks
Old 02-18-2002, 08:46 AM   #8
SGA

I used to be on alot back when you could actually make some money on Ads. I find it depressing coming back here often. I prefer to spend my time working on my sites and making them special.

Also I got tired of searching for the latest company that offered the best CPM deals and then later finding out they were dishonest, under counted, or something. You could spend all day applying to companies and inserting new code to find out a couple weeks later you were either not goin to get paid or it just was not performing

Last edited by SGA; 02-18-2002 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-18-2002, 08:48 AM   #9
Xander

I think the poor ad market is the main reason for people posting less.

But even today it's possible to make money on the internet and to improve the performance of your sites just by reading the posts here.
Example: A while a go I read a great tip about using text-boxes instead of banners/traditional text links.
I started using this strategy and this boosted my CTR's and Lead Ratio's. I didn't think it would make such a big difference and I would not have tried it if I had'nt read it here.

The ad market has matured, this is not *just* a crisis.
If you want to make money on the internet in 2002 you probably need to change some strategies you were using in 1999.
I think a lot of webmasters still need to make that change or are in the process of doing so.
That's what I hope to learn here.
Things like: how to improve CTR's and conversion ratio's and how to make a succesful switch from being a webmaster to being a merchant.
I think we'll see more of these subjects in the future and less posts about banner advertising and traditional internet marketing.

Just my thougths.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:09 AM   #10
Fromage

CJ is a bit down and haven't seen any new / good programs for ages. So I haven't had any need for "Anyone tried abdc-program?" -questions.

Still reading this 1-2 times / week anyway.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:04 PM   #11
funpages
Member.

I bet they have all disappeared due to this bulletin boards strictness and excessive rules.

I know I stopped posting because I'm pretty much scared to post anything without fear of being banned from the board. I don't really feel like reading that 5 page 'Posting Guide'. I'd rather lurk and e-mail webmasters directly about stuff.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:29 PM   #12
Robert from SI
I am a Contributing Geek. Are You?

This forum gets 20 times the posts of the other ad forums exactly because of its guidelines.

It's also why you have representatives from about 20 ad companies that participate here and why almost none of them participate anywhere else.
Old 02-18-2002, 05:41 PM   #13
Blubster

yes... at the begining it was difficult for me to change my mind from "100% dark side unmoderated" forums, but I see here what the logo says... "Quality for publishers & merchants"
Old 02-18-2002, 05:48 PM   #14
david11982

I agree with Robert, this forum's guidelines are probably a key factor in its loyal member base. This is one of the only forums that I know of where I know I will not see any "Check out this great new program I found" SPAM messages.

I never fear getting banned from here, because I don't post any links at all in my non-existent signature and I try to make sure that all of my posts are fair to all parties mentioned.

I think people are starting to push the legal envelope as far as advertising methods, but they usually come to this forum in an attempt to find out if their methods are legal. We have had many long threads in recent months discussing legal issues involved with website development and advertising (many of which were just hypothetical situations), and we could definately use a few lawyers in here to check the facts. The world wide web has only been around for a short time, and there is no legal precedent concerning some issues that have been brought up. Of course, many of the people that have participated in illegal/border line legal activities realize that what they are doing is unethical. But they have the right to decide if they are willing to risk their reputation to make a little $$$.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:13 PM   #15
Dave-AHFB

Speaking for myself, I like this place because it is run in a professional and ethical manner. We have seen dozens upon dozens of of re-signed members bash this place, the bottom line is that they were members for a reason.(edit: and they are gone for a reason)

I would much rather visit a forum with fewer members, members that know what they are talking about, and moderation which is strict but constant, over a forum with a bunch of people just trying to increase posts counts when they should so obviously shut up, read and learn. Or one in which the rules are from the cuff if they exist at all.

just my .000002 worth

D

Last edited by Dave-AHFB; 02-18-2002 at 06:14 PM.