Webmaster Forum Rules | Posting Guide | Contact Us | Testimonials | Contributing Geek Program | Advertise on Geek/Talk
Welcome to the GeekTalk Webmaster Discussion Forums from GeekVillage.com

Click Here To Register. It's Free!

Go Back   geek/talk: Signature-free discourse for serious web publishers > YOUR PERFORMANCE: Website Promotion, Marketing and Growth > Search Engine Marketing & Optimization
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2002, 03:04 PM   #1
jliboy
Member.

Unhappy how do i get hits???? i cant seem to get enough hits :(

please help......i have a subdomain website, it's not too bad, and have more to offer than most game directory sites that got around 80000 hits already (dunno how long they been around though).......how do i get more hits?? i tried banner exchanges, surf for traffic (ex: i2u2me.com), and i submitted my site to about 20 search engines! but not many hits from all that either............please help.....i only get 30 visitors a day!

my site is http://jliboy64.geckokid.com

p.s. i started this site about 3 weeks ago

p.p.s: this site is down right now.....please see it in a few days..it should work then.......
jliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 12:37 PM   #2
Hope

Patience! There is no sure fire way to get traffic immediately. Having your site down will only cause a bigger delay in getting traffic. You need to get into search engines. This can only be done if your site is online for the spiders to index. Banner exchanges only work if you have traffic.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 01:36 PM   #3
bjmcreal
Member.

There are all kinds of ways to advertise without getting into major search engines. I have free hosted sites that generate good income for me. Some of my advertising is outside of the web and is free as a bird!!
bjmcreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 07:24 PM   #4
jliboy
Member.

yes, i ahev submitted to search engines.....i have meta tags and i have tested them and revised them.......but i dont see any hits from search engines......what is the average time it takes to process an application in say......hotbot? or yahoo?

my site is back up now, it rarely is down.....this was the first.....

bjmcreal, im very interested in your advertising ways? can you teach me some ways to get traffic?? i dont really want people that dont want to see my content, but just wnat some sort of benefit for their own..know what i mean? please help

my site is http://jliboy64.geckokid.com
Old 01-09-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
Adi-2k1

When I went to your site, the first things that welcomed me where BANNERS. I don't this is the best way to welcome new visitors to your site. Be nice and offer your visitors a comfortable and a easy to navigate site without banners or ads. I see more banners and ads on your site then content. Try only to have 1 banner or none at all for the beginning so that people feel good about your site and come back more often. Later on, you can add more banners as visitors come to your site more often.

Those are my thoughts.......
Adi-2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 07:34 AM   #6
Hope

I still cannot see your site.

Getting into search engines can take some time. Each search engine is different. Yahoo is done by a human. If you did not pay to have your site reviewed it can take up to 8 weeks. Same thing for Looksmart. ODP depends on the editor. Spidering engines can take several months.

Since I cannot see your site, I cannot give you any advice in regards to how search engine friendly it is. There is more to a search engine friendly page than meta tags.
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 01:51 PM   #7
scottyO

Jason,
I think that most visitors won’t know what your site is about. If you have a 3-eyed cat as your logo, you might want to have something on your main page that says your site is about internet gaming.

I also think you have too much advertising on your site. One or two well placed ads will be much more effective than putting 10 on the bottom of the page (like on http://jliboy64.geckokid.com/gamelist.html). Clumping Advertisements together will only make a user less likely to click them.

Finally, your site was designed to be displayed on monitor resolutions of 1024x768 and higher. The majority of your users will be using 800x600 resolutions and will have to scroll right and left to see your whole page. A good rule of thumb is to hold the width of your pages to a maximum of 760 pixels.

Hopefully this will help a little – good luck with your site!
-Scott
scottyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 05:20 PM   #8
jliboy
Member.

gotcha, ill make it 760 wide soon.....

the banners will be removed soon......all of them are banner exchanges, i guess that dont work unless you already got hits, eh?

ill change the logo, hopefully making it more....gameish
Old 01-10-2002, 05:24 PM   #9
jliboy
Member.

hehe, well.....almost all of them
Old 01-14-2002, 05:26 PM   #10
pgkooijman

A lot of things were said already by other members but I just want to say that I was in the same position 9 months ago. Once you have submitted to all SEs and Directories try to set up links with sites that provide the same kind of content. That will get you higher rankings. Make the site attractive for visitors so they come back, once you got high rankings then you can start driving them crazy with your banners. 3 weeks is peanuts and it will take at least a couple of months before your visitors start running into the 1000s per day.

I have found Google to be one of the easiest to get into. Create a link back to your homepage from every page on your site. Create a sitemap where all the pages are listed on one page. Then submit this sitemap page to google. Use 'link:http://www.yoursite.com' to check how many sites/pages are linking to your site. Once all your own pages are listed there your ranking will shoot up.

Do that and make contact/friends with sites that basically do the same and ask for a link exchanges.
pgkooijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 06:10 PM   #11
jliboy
Member.

thanx man! i will do that!
Old 01-23-2002, 11:30 PM   #12
2k-Lyrics
-----

whoa!!!

First, when I went to your site, I was hit with pop-ups and I can't stand pop-ups not even 1, and you have 3. It took me forever to download your site on my 56k. Too much graphic items. WAY TOO MANY ADVERTISEMENTS. I left your site because it took way too long to load. Then when I left your site, I was hit with yet another pop-up. SHEESH!!!
2k-Lyrics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 08:25 AM   #13
jliboy
Member.

Wink yea, the popups will be gone in 2 days

yea, the popups will be gone in 2 days,

and i have cut down the number of 468x60 banners