View Single Post
Old 08-08-2001, 09:33 AM   #24
demae

Sounds like I'm the only UNIX editor guy around here, huh?

I use emacs (a standard editor that comes with UNIX systems, but is also available for Windows) to edit my HTML. It is a text editor with pretty advanced functionality, e.g. regular expression search and replace. I also like its keyboard shortcuts for rapid movement, e.g. Ctrl+Down to go down one paragraph, Alt+Right to go forward one word.

One disadvantage of emacs is that it was designed by UNIX geeks for UNIX geeks---it's not easy to learn. I had to sit down at with the tutorial for an hour to become basically functional in emacs. One would have an easier time getting started with TextPad.

I haven't really tried out WYSIWYG editors before; I do believe that there are good ones, but there's two reasons why they're not so useful to me:

(1) My websites are dynamically generated (e.g. from a MySQL database). I program in Apache::ASP, which has HTML embedded with the programming logic. So, I have to use a text editor to edit it. (If I used a template based system such as Template Toolkit, maybe I could edit the HTML using an HTML editor. I've never tried template systems before, but lately I've been developing websites with non-programmers so I'm thinking about learning it.)

(2) My web designs are minimal; I don't bother with fancy graphics because a. I'm not an artist, b. fancy pages load slower; the visitors are here to see my content, not my design, and c. the time I save by not making fancy graphics is time that I can spend on improving the content of the site. Since my web designs are simple, I won't get confused as to which TABLE tag ends where, etc. The most complicated design I've ever made is http://www.animewallpapers.com/