View Single Post
Old 06-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
Czar

Webmaster

MSN and Yahoo are both lacking Google's convenience factor. It's been said for years that one of Google's key strengths is its plain-Jane interface, but for some reason the other major search players haven't released simple search panels - or they've hidden them behind anti-intuitive domain names such as search.msn.com or the poorly marketed altavista.com.

Both services draw strength from their portal approach and will likely remain one step ahead of Google in the race for control of content as a result, but both need to acquire or develop a catchy and intuitive search-only brand and roll-out their contextual affiliate programs internationally in order to come close to matching Google's convenience and aesthetic cleanliness.

I know that I generally use Google simply because it's so simple and natural to type google.com into the browser address bar, even though I know that I'll often get more relevant results if I took the time to type search.msn.com. It's strange how so many billions of dollars in search traffic can be influenced by convenience, but it's a reality that MSN and Yahoo still need to confront. Even in the broadband age, people want to be greeted by a search-only panel, not a portal, when they're looking for something specific.

Follow Geek/Talk's Twitter Feed and Facebook Page to stay up to date with new discussion threads and online ad industry highlights.

Important GeekVillage Links: Home | Rules | Posting Guide | Report Trouble | Feedback | Advertise on GV
Czar is offline   Reply With Quote