View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
Michau

Default Public domain images

I saw a man selling on Ebay a set of bikini pictures which he says that are in public domain. I'm interested in creating a screensaver for PalmOS (which I would sell for $9.99 on Handango or some other site) and offer for free sets of these pictures which could used with this screensaver. I know that this is rather loosely connected with webmastering, but it touches very similar problems as in creating a website with these pics, so I'm posting it here.

I'm quite ignorant when it comes to copyright problems, so I'd like to seek your opinions on this project. What if it turns out that some pictures are not in public domain but someone holds copyright to them? I'm not selling the pictures themselves, but a program that views them. So would it be just right what I removed questioned pictures and that would be all, or could I get into more trouble? I'm just not sure what can and what cannot be done with public domain photos, and what to do if I believe in good faith that a picture is in public domain, but it turns out that it's not.