PDA

View Full Version : Please, I need your advice here. Money vs. Inconvenience

JonathanLB
10-05-2000, 10:56 PM
I am in a real bind here and I need all of your advice very badly just so that I know that I am doing the right thing, or if I'm doing the wrong thing, help me out.

I want to put a pop-up banner ad on JLH-Online.com, but I am worried about the long-term effects. First, I get 11,000 impressions a day, it is steady as a race horse, never any exceptions, it's like 11,200 plus or minus 200. Very consistent.

So, I'm making a little bit of money, you know, I'll be honest, maybe $5 a day. That's alright, but I first of all need to dig myself out of a $900 hole (I spent that much buying the site and remaking it).

We get 1,000 visitors per day, roughly, so each person is generating lots of impressions. Now, I have no idea what the rules/limits are for this PopUpTraffic.com site, but I am putting that up there tomorrow. I mean, some sites say, "only 3 impressions per visitor per 24 hours" or whatever they say, I have no idea, this is usually their special internal auditing process, so they don't disclose it.

Getting to the point here, it is a Jennifer Love Hewitt fan site, I will be annoying my visitors with this pop-up, I realize that right now. My main concern is that my hosting costs are about to go from $35 to $70 -- doubling -- because I am making the site better and I'll be adding a lot more picture galleries.

I want to tell the long-time visitors (we have 600 newsletter subscribers) that the reason I'm putting this banner up is really to serve them better by allowing the extra revenue to easily cover my hosting costs and let me put more pictures up for them to see and make the site WAY better. I am interested in that, it's important to me that I don't tick all of my users off.

Here is the question and the matter that I need advice on, how likely is this to seriously negatively impact my long-term hit potential and should I be concerned?

We get most of the traffic from Yahoo and other search engines, and I feel that most of these people are one-time visitors (I would never do this for any site with a lot of return visitors). So, I feel that I am making a fair trade off, I realize that I will probably lose newsletter subscribers, lose loyal visitors, so my traffic might decrease by 10% even or whatever, but I think that I am making the right decision for the purposes of making the site better, first of all, and second making my money back in a timely manner and helping my small Internet business succeed.

Am I being unethical or greedy or have I made the correct decision? Will this turn out well in the end and what is your experience with pop-up banners?

Thanks for any advice you can give, I just don't know enough about this sort of thing to see if I've made the right decision or not...

Jack
10-05-2000, 11:24 PM
I believe you are making the right decision. From how you have described your site in this thread and in the past, I am fairly certain that the majority of your visitors are one time only ones. Thus, you should not be too concerned with a drop of impressions. The most I assume your impressions will drop is around 5% (which can easily be made up by the increased revenue the pop ups will generate).

If I were in your situation, then I would even take this a few steps further. I believe you are certainly not being greedy as you must generate some form of revenue from your sites.

BTW, love your above the fold banner setup on your site. Definitely looks like it would increase CTR a great amount.

JonathanLB
10-05-2000, 11:56 PM
Thanks Jack, that makes me feel a bit better at least.

I hope I'm doing the right thing, seems like we'd have mostly one-time visitors. They might come back months later (probably unknowingly), but I don't think most people visit a JLH site daily when it is not even updated weekly (how much can you add while she's not in a new movie...?).

Any idea how these guys count impressions? If I get 11,000 impressions per day, they pay $3 CPM, how much would I make?

Don't say $33, because I could do that math, but that cannot be right...

I was just hoping for maybe $4 or $5 per day extra...

Jarusa
10-06-2000, 04:35 AM
JohnathonLB,
I am not a big fan of pop-ups at all and I have never used them on any of my sites. But in your particular situation I think it might be OK. As it was stated earlier it sounds as though you are getting a lot of one-time visitors. (you may want to check your logs or put a counter on such as hitbox to check this. If this is the case and since it is a celeb site and you have paid for the site (I think you got a bargain, I read your previous thread on this web site and checked it out) pop-ups might be a good revenue earner and still not hurt the bottom line, your traffic.

Don't forget though there are many affiliate programs out there. I have had some success with the lotto/contests type text links, but there are so many creative ways you could make some money.

Also you must not forget that a celebrity site can only be as popular as the celebrity. If JLH decides to give up acting and grow mungbeans in the mountains your traffic may decrease quickly. Unfortunately for celeb sites, fame can be fleeting.

Good luck!

gallery
10-06-2000, 05:05 AM
Hi Jonathan,

I had exactly the same concerns : adding popus or not.
I thought this could be annoying for my visitors.
I decided to add 2 popups on my site. One when visitors enter my site and another one when they leave it.
I have put small popups that are not annoying for visitors (something like 468x200 pixels).

I haven't received a complaint so far, my number of visitors is still increasing and I get regularly nice comments.

One popup is from popupmoney. I made the other one myself with CJ sponsors.

I'm making more than $3 CPM with my own popup .

If you get 11000 pages impressions, it could result in only 5000-6000 popups impressions. The popup should be fully loaded before an impression is credited.
If lots of visitors close the popup before it is fully loaded then you'll get much less than $33.

TJ
10-06-2000, 07:14 AM
Try the firstname.com popup program - if you have a lot of one-time visitors I think it would work very well. Their popup is less intrusive than the pop-up traffic one which I think most of your visitors would close almost instantly and you would receive no credit for. The firstname one loads in the background.

I've tested both programs and I've consistently made more each day with firstname.

cyburrr
10-06-2000, 07:25 AM
Popuptraffic is a great program. I haven't heard any complaints (the pop ups are quick loading, and fairly small) - and many of my visitors are repeats. I had an Exit program for 2 days - and REALLY heard about that one..lol. If you have any questions, a good place to start is the Allclicks message board. You might want to consider customizing your SearchTraffic box to fit your site a bit better - just be sure to clear it with the Admins before using it.

zMan
10-06-2000, 08:27 AM
What are you guys talking about? I was reading and reading and NO ONE mentioned that PopUpTraffic only counts ***ONE IMPRESSION*** per visitor in a 12 Hour period.

So the MOST JHL-Online.com can make with Popups is $3.00 a day - Since you get 1,000 uniques... (that's considering that EACH & EVERY VISITOR IS FROM U.S.A AND ALL OF THEM LET THE POP-UP LOAD).

Let's do this with 50% of the visitors (more reasonable)... You will make $1.50 a DAY or $45.00 a MONTH. You can do this + another pop-up with CJ ads or whatever when a visitor LEAVES your website (as someone else suggested above) and you can probably cover up your hosting costs of $70.00, and the money you'll make from banners can be your profit.

Good luck!

------------------
zMan

sdarken
10-06-2000, 09:23 AM
I agree with the other comments about popups on celebrity sites. I don't think that too many visitors return very often so I think a popup is ok to use (in moderation). I wouldn't advise using popups on every page but putting a couple on wont hurt too much.

I don't use the PopupTraffic program so I am not an expert but I believe that zman is, once again, correct about the impressions being counted per unique user so therefore I wouldn't be surprised if you only made $1.50/day (50% of your unqiues @ $3/cpm).

Since your traffic is very consistent I would suggest trying a few different pop-up programs and see what works best. For example, the Focalex program might make you an extra $1 - $2/day but try them both and see what happens. Just have them popup from different pages.

By the way, JLB, back on 9/8 you said that your JLH site was getting 679,000 page views. That's a big difference from 330,00 page views (11,000 /day). I notice that your pictures now open on pages (rather than just showing the picture by itself) which must have increased page views. What happened to all that extra traffic that you were expecting?

- Simon

------------------
Piper-Perabo.Net (http://www.piper-perabo.net) - Piper Perabo, star of the new movie 'Coyote Ugly'
BigStars4U.Com (http://www.bigstars4u.com) - Rising Stars in the Worlds of Movies, Music and T.V

ccole
10-06-2000, 03:43 PM
I suggest you pay close attention to your visitors. Signup for some sort of counter program that counts uniques as well as normal visitors. Personally, I like http://www.thecounter.com

Oh, and btw, $70 for hosting sounds like a lot to me unless you are using up an extraordinary amount of bandwidth. You may want to think about looking around for a host with better prices.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.colehosting.com" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.colehosting.com</A>
Hosting, Custom CGI Scripts, and Design

Aaron Dragushan
10-07-2000, 12:30 AM
Why not have the popup use a cookie to only show itself once?

By the way, here's a handy popup generator, for folks that are new to it all. http://geekvillage.com/ubb/smile.gif http://javascript.internet.com/generators/popup-window.html

WildComputer
10-07-2000, 12:33 AM
There's also a popup generator on my site, with slightly different options: http://www.hits4me.com/html_popup.asp

------------------
New:<A HREF="http://www.marketingrocket.com/buytraffic.html" TARGET=_blank>Buying Traffic for Pennies
How I made $5,000 with just 2 hours work & other secrets</A>

Create your own E-Books (free download) (http://www.ebookcompiler.com/).

JakeJeck
10-09-2000, 11:24 PM
Ain't nuttin to it but to do it!

I have the same situation on my Britney site. Since terrashare went to **** CPM payments for celeb sites, I now use the popuptraffic entrance console, allclicks exit console when they leave the first page, searchtraffic boxes, and a few regular allclicks links. I should probably take down all my content and just put up regular allclicks links until my site goes to the bit bucket in the sky.

Most of my visitors are from search engines and topsites that I have good rankings on, so like your visitors they are one timers. I could care less if they bookmark me or not. They'll be back in a month when they do another search and forget they already visited my site on a topsite.

Click Here!