PDA

View Full Version : Search Engine Traffics

KHN
06-27-1999, 09:51 PM
Questy, Steve S., or anybody,

Can you please let me know how much visitors to your site are from search engines?

My site average at a very low rate of 3%.

------------------
KHN
Do you love Freebies?
Click Here Now! members.tripod.com/~allfreestuff/freestuff.html (http://members.tripod.com/~allfreestuff/freestuff.html)

[This message has been edited by KHN (edited 06-27-99).]

ShaneD
06-28-1999, 06:59 PM
Hi,
I get around 50% of my traffic from search engines.
Shane

Questy
06-28-1999, 07:40 PM
KHN,

I really don't think there is a "correct" answer to this question. And I have to admit I am biased against search engines. I used to put a high value on using search engines to generate traffic, but as the engines keep changing, the number of players increasing, it is getting harder to predict reliable results from tweeking for search engine hits.

The other problem you may have is I feel the "free stuff" market is very competative. Another problem you may have is trying to get indexed using a tripod site. I have built the exact same site and submitted it as a Tripod site, as well as under other domain names, and the Tripod / Geocities sites sometimes never get listed.

I have a philosophy website that I get fair traffic on for not promoting it, and needless to say about 90% of the folks that are finding that site are hitting via search engines. I have to admit that there is less competition on the philosophical side than on the webmastering side.

awhile back I "tested" a philosophy page, and played around with tweeking it for maximum exposure by search engines, and was pretty excited by the traffic it was getting. Here again, initially about 99% of my traffic was search engine searchers. Then a fairly active site in Italy had a link to the page I was "testing" and all of a sudden about 40 to 50% of my traffic was being generated by that one link!

The number one way folks find sites is by links from other sites. Initially search engines may be a higher percentage, but as your site ages, you should get a higher percentage from "referrals."

------------------
Regards,
Questy

The small business and technology guru,
It's not just a job, it's an addiction!
www.computerguru.net (http://www.computerguru.net)

KHN
06-28-1999, 08:41 PM
I think most sites that are listed at the top because of their popularity.

If you go to altavista or any other search engines and find a site that is at the top of the list then search the following.

link:www.anysite.com

Most site listed at the top has over 1000 sites link to them. As you get lower and lower down the list a site has less links to them.

------------------
KHN
Do you love Freebies?
Click Here Now!
members.tripod.com/~allfreestuff/freestuff.html (http://members.tripod.com/~allfreestuff/freestuff.html)

Questy
06-29-1999, 01:04 PM
RE:I think most sites that are listed at the top because of their popularity.

The answer to that is sometimes. None of the websites are very specific on exactly how this works. Google is one search engine that tell you upfront that the more links to your site, the higher you are ranked, and this is their #1 criteria. Other sites will tell you that links will give weight to your ranking, but just how much weight, that is the question.

Click Here!