PDA

View Full Version : Do they have a case?

mccollin
04-05-2006, 09:52 AM
I have a technology related discussion forum and we try very hard to kill off any discussion of warez, pirating, and anything else that is not professional. In fact, I think we rival GT in our efforts to keep the forum professional. You guys definitely set the bar.

A common topic of discussion is folks hacking their devices. This often involves hacking the ROMs and even the hardware. Obviously this kind of thing violates warranties and can end up destroying the device. These types of warnings are always posted by anyone discussing this stuff. We also never host any ROMs on our site. What usually happens is someone will hack something and upload it to there personal site, and a link might get posted on our site, along with discussion about what the modification does and how to use it.

My question is this. Is there any legal position a company could take to force us to remove a link to something? Is there any legal position they could take to force us not to dicuss it? I'm just curious because occaisionally I've gotten emails from companies asking us to remove a file that someone inadvertantly uploaded to our forum, and I have always removed them immediately. But, I'm not sure I see how they could really prevent linking to something. Keep in mind that I don't think this is a licensing issue, as the ROMs are proprietary and you could run them unless you had the device they came out of, and you couldn't buy the device without the original ROM. As long as I'm not hosting the actual ROMs, am I pretty safe?

I'm not looking for legal advice here... just opinions and experience on the subject.

Click Here!