PDA

View Full Version : Ever Hear of anything this crazy

Worthen
11-22-2004, 09:51 PM
I had some hosting trouble this morning ... trouble with internap and sites were loading slow or not at all.

As i type in one domain, I'm taken to a competitors site that shows the url to be

mydomain.theirdomain.org

if I go theirdomain.org I get their site or if I go the first url I get their site.

I just typed in mydomain.com

we are in the same industry and they rank 1100 plus at Alexa, so they must be getting some traffic.

What do you think is going on here?

How could I have found this ?:(

What should i do about it. This site dosen't get much traffic anymore ... at one time it did ... i'll have to check my others ... it's been a busy day.

ReverseTheCurse
11-22-2004, 10:46 PM
please tell me more, we use internap as well and we suspect weird issues as well. if you want, please send me a PM.

Czar
11-23-2004, 01:26 AM
One of my clients experienced something similar a few months back.

In that case, DNS settings were changed or corrupted so that requests for the client's domain (which was hosted in a virtual environment) were essentially redirecting visitors to the first domain name assigned the same IP as the client. Requests for every site on that reseller/hosting account, then, were redirecting to one lucky camper's site with the domain name aaasomething.com.

We thought that the site had been hijacked since the new landing page was another site in the same industry, but the reality was simply that the hosting company who were looking after my client's site had strategically targeted a number of local businesses in the tourist industry through their sales processes and this was a coincidence, albeit a painful one.

The sub-domain issue clouds things further, but if the competitor is a host and you are a reseller of theirs, DNS problems may again be the culprit - redirecting requests for domains to virtual sites that have each been assigned sub-domains (ie username.theirdomain.org or theirdomain.org/username).

This isn't to say that malicious intent has not been applied here, but I'd look to DNS settings as the most likely culprit at this stage.

Worthen
11-23-2004, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the explanation Czar ...

I'm real slow on the tech side of things and didn't know what to make of it ... still don't fully understand

I don't resell, I host on a vps that experienced the trouble ... I'll take up the matter with them and ask what they think happened and quiz another source or two.

In a day or two I'll come back with my host side of what may have happened ... explain the details and see if you guys can help determine if I have a clear picture of what happened.

Worthen
11-23-2004, 08:56 AM
I was rediected to com.org

Today you type any of my sites before com.org and you get com.org

http://geekvillage.com.org takes you to com.org as well

Read the explanation of why at their site and let me know what you think.

They are somehow redirecting non availables

cheznoir
11-23-2004, 12:24 PM
They just have their dns wildcarded to allow all subdomains, nothing really tricky or difficult. I guess some people mistake that typing. It works for anything.

http://cheznoiristhecoolestpersononthefaceoftheearth.com. org

Czar
11-23-2004, 05:25 PM
Okay. I know about those guys. They're cleverly exploiting a bizarre IE feature that automatically tries to resolve domains to .com.org, .net.org and .org.org if an invalid domain is typed into the address bar.

Very irritating and potentially confusing, but supremely opportunistic at the same time. I'm pretty sure that while they will cop a good deal of heat from those unfamiliar with their operation, these guys are fairly safe from accusation of trademark infringement and the like because of the wildcard nature of their DNS setup.

The com.org site will be virtually worthless once IE changes its feature set, but it's an incredibly valuable 404-style portal destination until that occurs. To some degree, they've taken control of the market that Microsoft and Verisign were trying to target, and they've ironically done so in response to a feature that Microsoft itself developed.

Worthen
12-07-2004, 01:01 AM
now here's one for the records

I'm doing a bit of research on insurance sites (at overture)

when I see a site I want to visit at http://www.directtruckinsurance.com and there I get exactly what I'd expect

but not wanting to cost the guy money for such a visit, I open a new broswer window and type in http://directtruckinsurance.com and I get very different results

I emailed them about it and apoligized in advance if it's intentional

I expect it is not and will be corrected in 6 or 7 hours from now when offices open for business.

you still have the exact same url except the www. is missing and instead of an insurance site ... it shows playforpleasurehomeparties.com

i found both sites on the same server but admins are different ... i bet it's likely a case of corrupted dns settings ... like Czar described earlier

Click Here!