PDA

View Full Version : Web site translation/localization

Elemental Thought
10-21-2004, 04:40 PM
I've recently come across the issue of getting a site's content translated (also buzzworded as "localized"). I was wondering about other people's experiences with this issue. Has anyone found any software that is satisfactory? What about professional translation services?

Most of the documents requiring translation will be very short, generally 25 - 100 words long, but there are thousands of them.

I'd be interested in anything anyone has to say on the subject! :)

DougM
10-21-2004, 10:40 PM
Three questions you should ask first:

1. What language translated into what language?

2. Are there any technical or industry-specific words or phrases which must be translated accurately?

3. Is this business related? Will money change hands and contracts be formed based on what you translate?

In general - Services like Babelfish are very crude. You may get your point across, but just barely and gauranteed to be full of errors.

Depending on the language, better software-based solutions may be available but again, almost gauranteed to contain some errors if the writing is anything beyond a basic sentence.

The only solution where business and money are concerned is human translation by a certified pro.

I may have a few more thoughts if you care to answer the questions above.

Click Here!