PDA

View Full Version : Best and cheapest place for domains and dns

masm50
08-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

I have to renew my domain at the end of this month and was wondering what everyone's thoughts are as to where the best place is to buy (renew) a .com domain

mydomains.com
godaddy.com
registerfly.com

anyone tried any of the above

Also - has anyone tried dr2.net for hosting? - They look quite promising ;)

Cheers

Tim:angel:

fcolor
08-16-2003, 01:35 PM
There are a lot of under $9 domain registars. You may see NameCheap.com.

I can also suggest Reg2c.com. They offer $7.45 domain registration. But if you want to use them you need to buy 10 domain credits.

Regards
D.

Czar
08-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Out of those three, GoDaddy would be my preference.

You'll have to put up with an order process that takes several minutes thanks to the many attempts the company makes to upsell additional products and services along the way, but once you're in, the system features intuitive admin tools, an email-based notification service to monitor changes in the domain record and all the features common at pricier registrars.

I have about 60 domains there and have run into no problems thus far.

000domains.com is another to investigate. They're a little more expensive, but forego the upselling/diversifying processes to maintain domain management as their primary focus.

HTH

EMINEM79
08-16-2003, 05:39 PM
I've been using Registerfly for years now.. Only problem Ive ever had was just recentely when some of my domains kept changing back to the default DNS settings.. Other then that, great experiences...

Dave

EMINEM79
09-23-2003, 06:51 PM
Rackshack.net just recentely started offering $5 domain registrations. Yep you heard right $5.00

Dave

AhmedF
09-23-2003, 08:09 PM
I use namecheap.com and directnic.com

skot
09-24-2003, 04:13 AM
How much control you wish to have over your domain should determine your choice. I've been using
000domains (http://000domains.com) for a few years and very happy with their services and support, it's a little more than the 'budget' registrars but for myself worth the peace of mind.

As for hosting I can't say enough good things about HostingMatters (http://hostingmatters.com)

xanthan
10-04-2003, 07:43 PM
I've been using www.mydiscountdomains.com (http://www.mydiscountdomains.com) . It's $8.88 and has a lot of features for the money. Worth looking into, but I don't know how it compares to the other sites listed above /\.

If I was going to switch over, I'd probably use godaddy.com just from what i've read and seen on their site for prices/services

fcolor
10-13-2003, 05:52 AM
I've also find another cheap domain registar - dynadot.com. It is ICANN-accredited.

Regards
D.

georgec
10-13-2003, 06:14 AM
I've recently began using Namecheap, and would recommend them. Their control panel is the most feature-rich I've ever seen, and the fact that you can add funds to your account using Paypal is a plus. Also, they support a registrar lock while 000domains doesn't.

inogenius
10-19-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by EMINEM79
Rackshack.net just recentely started offering $5 domain registrations. Yep you heard right $5.00

Dave

I used RackShack.Net for my totallypunk.net domain, and what I don't like is that they list themselves as the technical contact. Normally, when I'd use Dotster, GoDaddy, or Stargate I would be listed as the technical contact. It's just a minor thing, but it sort of bugs me as they're not the technical contact. I am. I host it, I run.

Czar
10-19-2003, 10:45 PM
I bought a RackShack/EV1Servers domain yesterday and encountered enough trouble to make the $2-3 saving virtually meaningless. While some of this seems to be related to the popularity of the offer (dropped connections, settings failing to save), the incredibly slow passage of the order to market had me nervous. In fact, it took approximately 18 hours between the time my order was processed and the time it started showing up in whois as unavailable for registration. :eek:

Notably, it seems that several customers have encountered the same problems, but RackShack has apparently failed to commit sufficient human resources to working through the issues:
http://forum.ev1servers.net/showthread.php?threadid=34798

Can't blame them, I suppose, given that they're losing money with every order, but it does give credence to the idea that you get what you pay for.

inogenius
10-19-2003, 10:49 PM
I bought a RackShack/EV1Servers domain yesterday and encountered enough trouble to make the $2-3 saving virtually meaningless. While some of this seems to be related to the popularity of the offer (dropped connections, settings failing to save), the incredibly slow passage of the order to market had me nervous. In fact, it took approximately 18 hours between the time my order was processed and the time it started showing up in whois as unavailable for registration.

Yes, I noticed the same thing. Oh well, more motivation to go out and get my own $8.95 eNom account, which I had been planning on doing for quite a while.

dusky
10-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Whenever I see a tucows resellers like rackshack is I just always use their interface instead. You can use the tucows interface at https://manage.opensrs.net/

Jan
10-20-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Czar
I bought a RackShack/EV1Servers domain yesterday and encountered enough trouble to make the $2-3 saving virtually meaningless.
Wow Czar, you must have been very unlucky, I registered a domain with them a couple of weeks back and it was the smoothest transaction I had ever seen with a domain rego. I uploaded an index page the next morning (around 14 hours later) and the domain had already propogated :eek:

I didn't even need a new domain but someone told me about the availability of a 4 letter .com associated with my name, so I grabbed it. I have no idea what I will do with it though :D

Czar
10-20-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Jan
Wow Czar, you must have been very unlucky, I registered a domain with them a couple of weeks back and it was the smoothest transaction I had ever seen with a domain rego.Maybe their OpenSRS setup just can't keep up with the volume of transactions. Now that word is spreading about the $5 domains beyond the webmaster discussion community, they must be doing some pretty serious turnover. I might go back if things settle down, or if Tucows and RS manage to beef up their connection capacity. Until then, I'll stick with eNom @ $7.95.

Thanks for the tip, Dusky. That sure makes things easier in the interim.

cybergeek
12-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Out of the 3 that you listed, I would go with RegisterFly, If I remember correctly, they accept PayPal and their pricing is fair.

If you ask me, I have been very pleased with NameCheap.com, they are a reseller of eNom and I have been happy with their pricing ($8.88/yr) and service.

AhmedF
12-30-2003, 12:25 PM
Ack registerfly - auto-renewed a domain that I had moved from them 6 months ago.

swifthost
03-01-2004, 11:15 PM
We have registered 1000's of domain names with Enom and have had no issues. They are very professional.

Regards
Vish Nathan
www.swifthost.com

Click Here!