PDA

View Full Version : email from powells books

Timo
07-01-2003, 09:28 AM
Latest Email from powells. Looks like they are trying to take on Amazon a bit.

The highlights:
They are offering a flat rate of 7.5%, (was 10% no?)
More used books
More hard to get books, science and foreign language stuff
They are now dabbling in XML (AWS territory.)

Thank you for your participation in the Powells.com Partner Program. As we continue to improve our product selection and site usability, it remains our goal to maintain the most competitive affiliate system among online booksellers. I'm writing today to update you about changes and new features in the program.

In the near future, we will be adding hundreds of thousands of books to our inventory, including specialty titles in technical fields like medicine and science, along with many more foreign language items and hard-to-find editions. Additionally, we expect to double our on-hand used book inventory during the coming year.

Meanwhile, in response to feedback from participants in the program, we continue to implement an upgraded suite of features and tools. Soon we'll introduce a functionality that will allow you to build your own bookshelf (and re-set, as you'll always have the power to adjust or refresh your options) without worrying about inventory pricing or availability. All the links will be partner-coded and can include new releases and topical titles -- even interviews and essays. Choose the selections you prefer, then sit back and let us do the rest. Look for this powerful, new full-service feature in the coming weeks.

Furthermore, visit our partner pages later this week and you'll discover a new partner-coded file that allows you to post Powells.com Top Ten lists from any of more than two hundred store sections. If you have the technical know-how, this XML-formatted data can be pulled down to your site and run on a script of your making, or the Perl script that we've provided, to display a daily update of our section bestsellers. This new, dynamic feature keeps your content timely and fresh. And there's more in the works.

As Powell's works to remain viable in today's market, we will be instituting a change to the program's commission structure. As of the beginning of the new fiscal year (July 1, 2003), Powells.com will offer a flat-rate 7.5% commission on sales generated by partner-coded links, which remains the highest flat-rate commission in the bookselling industry. Our goal, now and in the future, is to maintain the best affiliate program online, with unparalleled levels of service and payment.

Please know that we value your support of the program. As always, I encourage you to email us with questions and feedback.

Rhea
07-01-2003, 01:05 PM
:cool: :cool: :cool:

Oh, happy day!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Timo
07-02-2003, 06:12 PM
I like the flat rate of 7.5%. 7.5% on used books is much more palatable than 2.5%. Almost makes me want to make a book page lol.

Don't start dancing in the streets yet there is always a *BUT*

from the operating agreement

https://www.powells.com/partners/agree.html

In order for a commission to become due, the purchaser must follow a link from your site to our online catalog, purchase a book using our automated ordering system, accept delivery, and pay in full. Powell's will not pay commissions on books that are purchased directly from Powell's Books, Inc. or from its online catalog (instead of through a link from your site), even if during a previous browser session the customer followed a link from your site to our catalog.

in other words 0 cookie. It is session based. I am not sure if this is a change or not. I cant find my copy of the old contract. anyone?

at least amazons cookie works on 70% of my i.e. users.

Powells, if you can't afford a 24 hour cookie to match amazon's you havent got a chance at competing with them.....

*little update*

I started promoting a couple of books through my merchant programs at cj and got a few sales. Unfortunatley I dont know if they actually purchased a book, but I do know it is what began the purchase (via SID). If the books were actually purchased, I got a 10% commssion on them, which far surpasses AZ, B&N or Powells rates. 90 day cookies are nice too!

I just wish I knew what I sold through my CJ merchants. If I could prove that I was selling books though my CJ merchants, at 10%

*cough* Todd if you are listening ;)

Tim

Click Here!