PDA

View Full Version : Poor CPM - Increase Impressions

alteredskate
07-01-2002, 12:04 AM
With these times of generally lower CPMs on CPM campaigns, I figured boosting the number of impressions is the thing to do if I want to make more money, but getting more visitors isn't that easy.

I am in the process of creating a new site, and instead of doing articles the way I have in the past, I'm breaking them up into multiple pages in order to generate more page views (an article will get me on average 75% more pageviews now).

This should work right? There wouldn't be any problem that could arise from this is there?

Does anyone have any more little ideas like this to boost revenue?

cyrex
07-01-2002, 12:14 AM
You can ask users to rate each article on a scale of 1 to 10 etc.. Also give them an option to discuss each topic by providing link to a message board topic. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by alteredskate
With these times of generally lower CPMs on CPM campaigns, I figured boosting the number of impressions is the thing to do if I want to make more money, but getting more visitors isn't that easy.

I am in the process of creating a new site, and instead of doing articles the way I have in the past, I'm breaking them up into multiple pages in order to generate more page views (an article will get me on average 75% more pageviews now).

This should work right? There wouldn't be any problem that could arise from this is there?

Does anyone have any more little ideas like this to boost revenue?

firstmark
07-01-2002, 12:28 AM
The thing with artifically breaking up content to generate more page views is that this will lower clickthru rate and if you had a high clickthru rate to begin with then you wouldn't have to worry about low effective cpm rates. In short this seems a catch 22.
Sites with few page views per person usually have higher CTR than sites with 20 page views per person.
Of course if you can find some nice cpm sponsors that have zero defaults then this might be something to consider.

emmzee
07-01-2002, 12:57 AM
One potential problem could be that more pageviews might lead to more default ads, depending who your advertiser is. If you (or whoever sells ads for you) can't sell enough ads to meet your demands, you'll have to find other ads to pick up the slack, or the extra bandwidth you'd be using to serve up those extra pages would be for nothing.

Ex
07-01-2002, 03:00 AM
Yep, increasing your page views now is not a generally good idea as it'll increase page view per unique, which will also affect your effective CPMs (increase in default ads).

Poor CPM is due to the industry revolution now, and it'll not be on the upwards trend for like another 1 or 2 yrs or even longer with the big fall of giants like Enron and WorldCom.

It would be a much better solution to instead get a good mix of ads (CPA, CPC) to achieve higher effective CPM.

I for one is actually decreasing page views at the moment if possible to save bandwidth, and increase clickthrough rate. Also experimenting with loads of different type of ads to test the waters. So far, I've been quite successfully in certain methods which I'd explained in the thread "Make money with Entertainment sites". Perhaps you might want to discuss further there.

alteredskate
07-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Those are some good points.

It still does provide more room to place ads now though, without placing multiple ads on one page. I guess I'll set up a banner rotator to throw in some different types of ads, along with my CPM ads.

And I'll check out that thread before I continue breaking up my articles (I've only done one so far).

C. Stark
07-02-2002, 01:43 AM
I had to break up some of the parts of my site to get the earnings up. It worked quite well. I broke a section of the site into two pages and saw an immediate increase in earnings as a direct result of it. I am tempted to break it into 3 to really jack things up. But I am concerned that might be too annoying.

alteredskate
07-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by C. Stark
I had to break up some of the parts of my site to get the earnings up. It worked quite well. I broke a section of the site into two pages and saw an immediate increase in earnings as a direct result of it. I am tempted to break it into 3 to really jack things up. But I am concerned that might be too annoying.

What type of pages did you break up, and what sort of advertising did you have on them?

I'm acutally finding many of my articles are more organized now that they are broken up into sections.

Nintendo
07-02-2002, 07:54 PM
:::I'm breaking them up into multiple pages

One plus to this is that you get more pages listed in search engines, like Google, geting you more visitors.

More visitors= more CPM/leads/sales= more money.

C. Stark
07-03-2002, 07:53 PM
I broke up my search form into two pages so I could run popups from multiple sponsors. At one point I also broke up the home page into an enter page with a popup and home page with a popup.

The broken up search form is in a section of my site that you won't see unless you enter through a doorway page. If you want the link I will give it to you.

C.

Click Here!